Calling All Enclosures.....

Sorry, just now saw this. I don't necessarily have large enclosures. I have a couple of greenhouses that I setup with cages and free range areas. I am guessing this is what you saw.
I just rebuilt another greenhouse and started planting it just a few days ago. Forgive the cords and misting lines. I just stuck them there while I was arranging. It will look better and more dense once it grows in and I finish the planting. Plus I have to mount all of the bromeliads.

Now thats some beautiful habitats(y)(y):love:
They must be outdoors alot ,due to your great weather you have.

Thanks!! They are in the greenhouse all year round. We don't have winters like some. We may get down into the 20's a few times, but it is fairly easy for me to maintain the temps in the greenhouses. I can usually achieve 75 during the day and 62 at night. Sometimes I drop the nights down colder.

Whoa! Those are crazy cool enclosures!

I really liked those of @jpowell86 and @Extensionofgreen, so I was wondering if you guys could tell us how you built all that awesome space!

Those are the kinds of enclosures I want to have in the future for my chams.:)(y):D
The link I posted on the first page of this thread has the details to my build.

$800 a month... yeah your bill sucks
Considering where we live and the size of our house, the price isn't bad, since people with similar sized homes in other counties pay more and don't keep the 1,500 plants or chameleons we do. Our house is 4000sq ft. Before you get to envious, it's a burden in terms of location, maintenance, and financially, and I'd love nothing more than to burn it down and start in FL, in a manageable sized home, with some flat land for outdoor caging and shade houses.

Was wondering if you ever considered solar paneling? @Extensionofgreen it may not pay for your bill completely, but it could shave a good chunk from what I've heard? ^^

I have and looked into it, but addition to having no flat land for gardening or greenhouses, we have too much tree cover to qualify for solar panels. The property is actually situated in conservation land and you are not allowed to remove trees from your property, but even if we cleared a few, we are 400ft back in the woods.

A few panthers or some parsonii? Those are the only two chameleons you know other than veileds, which you don't want another of?

Yikes! That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

LOL because you have to be a genius and expert to raise anything but a veiled! You are so high on urself.
Ya, tell me about it.

I did a little more research, and now I know of a few more:
  • Carpet Chameleons (don't know much)
  • Pygmy Chameleons (also don't know much)
  • Jacksons (know a little, no cage requirements or anything)
  • Parson's Chameleons (don't know much)
  • Veileds (know a lot)
  • Panthers (also know a lot)
  • Parsonii (know a little)
  • Meller's Chameleons (not much)
  • and Crested Chameleons (not much)
If you can add any knowledge to the list, that would be great! Again, this is all ideas for the future, so I'm not getting another cham for probably another 5-6 years. That's plenty of time to learn, right?

Just ignore certain people on here that think they are the only ones who should be allowed to own anything but a veiled! Just do your own research on the species you want you dont need the help of the high and mighty self proclaimed experts trust me its not worth hearing all the SMUG comments! Dont worry most people actually have advice to give rather than just tell people they shouldnt own one only because it doesnt make them as unique as they think they are.

LOL because you have to be a genius and expert to raise anything but a veiled! You are so high on urself.

Just ignore certain people on here that think they are the only ones who should be allowed to own anything but a veiled! Just do your own research on the species you want you dont need the help of the high and mighty self proclaimed experts trust me its not worth hearing all the SMUG comments! Dont worry most people actually have advice to give rather than just tell people they shouldnt own one only because it doesnt make them as unique as they think they are.

You completely missed my point and it bears repeating.

I do not believe keeping any chameleon alive and thriving is rocket science. Getting them to breed can be a little trickier, but to get them to thrive isn't rocket science. If you know what they need, it can be supplied. It might cost a lot and it might be challenging, but it can be done.

Novices can do very well with many species besides panthers and veileds, and to be honest, I don't think very many novices do a good job with those two species because they don't do what is necessary to keep them happy, healthy and thriving. I was a rank novice when I bought my first two newly imported wild caught T.q.quadricornis. Both are still alive and well.

The writer has had a veiled and is suddenly talking of having some panthers and parsons since those are the only two species other than a veiled that they know anything about.

All three species of chameleons--veileds, panthers and parsons--have very very different requirements. The writer then started throwing out species such as carpets, pygmies, mellers and more. There is no rhyme nor reason to the writer's research. Normally when someone is looking for a new species, they research something pretty thoroughly which leads them to another species that they research and on and on until they find the species they are really interested in. Or, like me, they walk into the importers and see something really beautiful and research after purchase. It seems as if the OP was just reading a comment here and there and that was the sum total of their knowledge. In fact, they didn't even know a Parson's chameleon was the same species as parsonii as both appeared on their list of chameleons they knew a bit about.

That the OP doesn't seem seem to want to delve deeply into any species--and I'm only going by their own comments--and wants everyone to simply hand that knowledge to them without doing any research on their own.

Again, all that suggests it will be a disaster. Or, maybe this is just a bored kid fantasizing.

Last edited:

Idk why you thought @jajeanpierre was being "high and mighty". I would have said something very similar. No one here considers themselves an "expert". This is an idiotic comment in my opinion, looking for an angry response.

I probably should have been more clear.
You completely missed my point and it bears repeating.

I do not believe keeping any chameleon alive and thriving is rocket science. Getting them to breed can be a little trickier, but to get them to thrive isn't rocket science. If you know what they need, it can be supplied. It might cost a lot and it might be challenging, but it can be done.

Novices can do very well with many species besides panthers and veileds, and to be honest, I don't think very many novices do a good job with those two species because they don't do what is necessary to keep them happy, healthy and thriving. I was a rank novice when I bought my first two newly imported wild caught T.q.quadricornis. Both are still alive and well.

The writer has had a veiled and is suddenly talking of having some panthers and parsons since those are the only two species other than a veiled that they know anything about.

All three species of chameleons--veileds, panthers and parsons--have very very different requirements. The writer then started throwing out species such as carpets, pygmies, mellers and more. There is no rhyme nor reason to the writer's research. Normally when someone is looking for a new species, they research something pretty thoroughly which leads them to another species that they research and on and on until they find the species they are really interested in. Or, like me, they walk into the importers and see something really beautiful and research after purchase. It seems as if the OP was just reading a comment here and there and that was the sum total of their knowledge. In fact, they didn't even know a Parson's chameleon was the same species as parsonii as both appeared on their list of chameleons they knew a bit about.

That the OP doesn't seem seem to want to delve deeply into any species--and I'm only going by their own comments--and wants everyone to simply hand that knowledge to them without doing any research on their own.

Again, all that suggests it will be a disaster. Or, maybe this is just a bored kid fantasizing.

I am new to this. While yes, some of this is true, and I'll admit to that, I am truly looking to the future here. Any and all chameleons are awesome, special creatures, and I'd be interested in having one of every group, name, color or personality. This is probably just an over-excited kid talking about the future, but I'm betting some people out there feel the same way. They all are so fantastic you just can't choose. Which is why my research (which I'm going more in-depth with) has no "rhyme or reason". I'm aware that all of them are quite different, and when I list all the different kinds it's only because all of them sound awesome. I'll admit that I'm not ready for serious chameleon keeping, but I'm taking good care of my buddy. He's fantastic, and it would hurt me to hurt him. But you talk like i'll be getting (hopefully plural) cham(s) tomorrow. I'm talking 5, 10, 20 years in the future. Plus, this place is a fountain of knowledge. It'd be stupid not to use all the knowledge and information here. So if it sounds like I want "everyone to simply hand that knowledge to (me) without doing any research on (my) own." that's really not the case. I am doing most of my own research. Everyone here has their own distinct opinion, and it's wise to hear the opinion of both the experienced and the not-so-experienced-but-still-obsessed. Why wouldn't I ask? Isn't that what this site is for? So, please, if anything I've said here insults anyone, i apologize. I only mean to defend myself. I can agree with most that you have said, @jajeanpierre, but I also feel the need to clear my name. I am not incompetent. Thank you for listening to/reading my arguments. I'm hoping that everyone can come away from this a little bit wiser. (How, i'm not exactly sure, but you can always hope, right?)

I probably should have been more clear.

I am new to this. While yes, some of this is true, and I'll admit to that, I am truly looking to the future here. Any and all chameleons are awesome, special creatures, and I'd be interested in having one of every group, name, color or personality. This is probably just an over-excited kid talking about the future, but I'm betting some people out there feel the same way. They all are so fantastic you just can't choose. Which is why my research (which I'm going more in-depth with) has no "rhyme or reason". I'm aware that all of them are quite different, and when I list all the different kinds it's only because all of them sound awesome. I'll admit that I'm not ready for serious chameleon keeping, but I'm taking good care of my buddy. He's fantastic, and it would hurt me to hurt him. But you talk like i'll be getting (hopefully plural) cham(s) tomorrow. I'm talking 5, 10, 20 years in the future. Plus, this place is a fountain of knowledge. It'd be stupid not to use all the knowledge and information here. So if it sounds like I want "everyone to simply hand that knowledge to (me) without doing any research on (my) own." that's really not the case. I am doing most of my own research. Everyone here has their own distinct opinion, and it's wise to hear the opinion of both the experienced and the not-so-experienced-but-still-obsessed. Why wouldn't I ask? Isn't that what this site is for? So, please, if anything I've said here insults anyone, i apologize. I only mean to defend myself. I can agree with most that you have said, @jajeanpierre, but I also feel the need to clear my name. I am not incompetent. Thank you for listening to/reading my arguments. I'm hoping that everyone can come away from this a little bit wiser. (How, i'm not exactly sure, but you can always hope, right?)

This is much better. I approve of this, very well put hun, and I am sure all of us here would love to help you understand the different species once you are more sure what you would be able to provide for later on. Right now we can give general care requirements, etc. But it also depends on where you think you'd be, around that time. In my opinion Panthers are always a good choice when you go farther down the road and want to extend a bit. If you are looking for a bit different species and little bit more complicated in care... I would do something like a simpler montane species like an easier jacksons species (though I definitely recommend getting an older wildcaught who has been in captivity a while if you can, or one from a breeder if you can find them), or a quad species from a breeder. These species I have named a relatively less complicated but good to do for beginners who want to extend into the more complicated species later in their life.

Quad or graciliors are SUPER cool montane species and @jajeanpierre has some! They're going to be my next cham but I haven't decided which between the 2. They take in a lot of water but not as much as a parsons or mellers does.

One of each???? :ROFLMAO:

They do take a lot of humidity to look really good. A mister and a good drainage pan works very well. I keep mine in Dragonstrand and their drainage pans work well.

What requirements do jacksons need, exactly? I've know they are live-bearing, but that's really the extent of my knowledge.

If you want to learn about a species, learn about where they live. Learn the climate there and where they are found in that area. What altitude? What's the weather patterns like? Which side of the mountain are they more likely to be--the rainy side or the dry side? What is the forest like--dense pristine forest or around the outskirts of agricultrue. Use the Red List. There is a wealth of information on it. http://www.iucnredlist.org. Don't rely on people to tell you what they need. Research it yourself. It is time consuming but you will learn a lot about chameleons and the world.

Back
Top Bottom