California Condors Return To Northern California

You said…”This population in the period of about a month, has had 21 California Condors, in a population of about 118 California Condor population, have died”…this is so sad. All that progress down the drain.

The progress is not down the drain. The California Condor Recovery Program has planned for the possiblities of pandemics. This is just a setback from one of those pandemic/outbreaks. Disease is a part of nature. These things happen whether Covid 19 or Avain Flu.

However some people say Covid 19 was man made?!?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Two California Condors (#856 and #839) recently made the flight to the begining of Yosemite Valley. This is big news for California Condor restoration is the Sierra Nevada foothills and mountains region.

YosemiteCaliforniaCondorsMay2023.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is a "Heads Up Announcement". The National Geographic Channel has got a new episode called "America's National Parks: Grand Canyon" starting airing tonight. This episode has a great segment about California Condors in the Grand Canyon Region. This episode looks to be pre HPAI (Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenze). There is another episode airing later tonight for those whom want to watch.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is sad news for all whom are following this thread. California Condor #663 "Junipero" has died. "Junipero" California Condor #663 is the California Condor that was missing one leg due to necrosis of a leg injury and lived in the wild for 2-3 with only one leg. The nercropsy is pending. However Junipero had a strong following of people cheering for him to survive although the odds were against him.

This is a link to the anouncement on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/145100328941758

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

After reading the article, I was watching a series that did a special on them. Unreal that there’s only approximately 500 ish left and they only breed every 2-3 yrs and only have 1 egg.. not sure if the show was 100% accurate we know how tv is, lol but dang those birds dont have a chance without recovery programs.
Beautiful species.
So sad this guy didn’t make it, seems even 1 loss is a big impact.

After reading the article, I was watching a series that did a special on them. Unreal that there’s only approximately 500 ish left and they only breed every 2-3 yrs and only have 1 egg.. not sure if the show was 100% accurate we know how tv is, lol but dang those birds dont have a chance without recovery programs.
Beautiful species.
So sad this guy didn’t make it, seems even 1 loss is a big impact.
This is sad about the loss of "Junipero". However that is a part of the acclamating part of of returning captive bred California Condors to the wild. These bird as seen with "Junipero" are an extremely resilient species. "Junipero" lived 2-3 years after losing his leg to necrosis. Woww! Who would have though that was possibly. That is especially with these birds competing with Eagles, Bobcats, Coyotes and other scavenger including other California Condors amazing.

Progress is slow with the California Condor recovery program. However much progress is being made returning the species to their native habitat. There is a captive breeding technique called double and triple clutching. Keeper remove one captive bred egg then that simulates captive pairs to lay a second or third eggs. That allows for more productivity from the captive breeding California Condor population.

I think techniques seen with the California Condor recovery could be applied to restoration of endangered chameleons species.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The unannounced arrival of the begining of the third California Condor Cohorts @ the NCCRP release has happened today. These Third Cohorts are the begining of the B series of California Condors. As of now I am only counting three B series of California Condors B0, B1, and B2. There maybe more to this Cohort of California Condors on the way. Keep your eye's opened on the Yurok Tribe Live Feed.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The two Big Sur Live Feeds that were down for a couple months due to technical problems are live again. There is a couple great camera views of the Big Sur Sactuary now. These Big Sur Live Feeds show much more mature California Condor populations.

To view visit the links above.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There was some interesting observed behavior on the Yurok Tribe California Condor Live Feed last night between 11:30 PM and 1:30 AM Pacific time. There were two California Condors both observed night feeding one for about an hour while the other night feed for two hours. One of the night feeding California Condor was inside the NCCRP release enclosure while the second was outside the NCCRP release enclosure (thought to be A1). This is a behavior I have observed 3-4 times and happens when the moon is out and bright. California Condors are opertunitst!! LOL

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I will be in the Cambria/Moro Bay Area soon. Not sure if there is any chance to see some in person, but I would love to!

I will be in the Cambria/Moro Bay Area soon. Not sure if there is any chance to see some in person, but I would love to!
The drive from Moro Bay to Carmel on coastal Hightway 1 is one of the best places in the world to spot California Condors in the wild. The northern part of that ~100 mile drive is where you should keep your eyes open and on the skies. I hope you spot some California Condors.

My California Condor photographed above was photographed on that part of the coastal drive.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Today was the 2023 release of new California Condors at the NCCRP release site. This far mentor A6 and Calfornia Condors B0 and B2 have been release for todays California Condor releases. The last California Condor to be released is B1. This is just a note all the B Series California Condors are 1.5 years old and were all born at the LA Zoo. B1 is a male. While B0 and B2 are females. This release was supposed to include A8 and A9. However due to not having a HPAI vaccine given those two California Condors have been reschedualed for a release in 2024.

I appologize for not announcing the California Condor release today.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The last couple of weeks the Yurok Tribe live feed has been showing these nearly 3 meter long California Condors can thrive in rainy wet Pacific Northwest conditions. This was a major concern for me as having a close to ten foot wingspan in a mostlty rainy and wet Northern California winter conditions were a major concern for me for this population. However that concern is now proving to not to be an issues. Great news!!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom