California Condors Return To Northern California

This is a neat app/website for those of you to use when you are located in California Condor country. This Condor Spotter is a website that allows birders to look up the bio's and life history about each California Condor. You use the site by checking the tag with the location.

https://www.condorspotter.com/

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Woot!! Woot!! Four new California Condors are going to be released into the Northern California California Condor release enclosure tomorrow. Those who want to watch them being released can watch on the Live Feed link. This second group of cohorts is going to acclaimate for a month or two before being released with a staggered release into the wild mid September through mid October. The introduction tomorrow should happen sometime early in the day.

https://www.yuroktribe.org/yurok-co...EWtTMkMSJKgY8NKerlTS1Ui8ojeruuMw8DWdjmYbV-GTI

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is just an update. I talked to Joseph Brandt a serior Biologist for the California Condor Recovery Program in Southern California the week 8/8/2022-8/12/2022 and on Monday 8/15/2022 by email. I talked to him about the alleged sighting of a California Condor in Tuolumne and Calaveras County on 7/6/2022-7/7/2022. I asked him if him if he could confirm the GPS data on the satalite tags on the Southern California California Condors in the month of July. Joseph Brandt stated out of about 95 California Condor in the Southern California California Condor population 70 have got GPS tags. I recieved an email from him stating the none of the Condors had made it to Tuolumne or Calaveras Counties. However they had traveled to the Motherlode town of El Portal. This town is one of the entrances to Yosemite and further north than my previous documented northern range town of Oakhurst. This is great news El Portal is in the California Motherlode and only about 60 miles away from were I live. I am expecting California Condors sightings to happen in my location sometime in the near future, especially with an growing Southern California population. I attribute the sightings in Tuolumne and Calaveras Counties on 7/6/2022-7/7/2022 as Facebook gossip. This gossip started by a sighting of Condors at Bue Mountain in Tulare County being associeted with a wrong location of Blue Mountain in Calaveras County. This although historically California Condors are documented as living in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the natural return of California Condors to the Motherlode region of the Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills. This may take one decade or four decades. However I think a return of the California Condor to the Motherlode region would contribute to conserving the western heritege of the area. That is with prospects of creating corridors and expanded ranges with other California Condor populations.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

After looking into the California Condor I learned they have over a 9 ft wingspan! Would love to see one of those flying over while driving through the mountains.

After looking into the California Condor I learned they have over a 9 ft wingspan! Would love to see one of those flying over while driving through the mountains.
California Condors in recent populations have got wingspans maxing out at about 9.5 feet. I have done research that had and found an unconfirmed report of a Spanish Missionary from the Monterey, California area that measured a California Condor with a wing span of 11 feet. California Condors and Andean Condors I think are long lived species that have got indeterminate growth. There are some Andean Condors that are old giants and anomalies in their native populations. They are significantly larger than other Andean Condors in their populations. That has not happened yet with California Condors. However there is some evedience that may happen from my observations.

When these California Condor populations recover. People looking to spot California Condors in the wild are most probably going to have the opertunity to view them in most of the western United States wild mountain, canyon, and foothills areas. Recent historically speaking California Condors have been ducumented from southern/western Canada to northern/western Mexico.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Monday October 10th starting @ 6:00 AM two of the second cohorts of California Condors are going to be released into the wild of Northern California on the Klamath River watershed at the Yurok Tribe California Condor release site. All are welcome to watch on the live feed link on this thread. The last two remaining second cohort California Condors are going to be released soon.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The California Condors would not cooperate today. The release of two California Condors is going to resume tomorrow 10/11/2022 @ 6:30-7:00 AM. The Californnia Condors even when baited with a calf carcass would not enter the release pen part of the release enclosure today.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
California Condors A4 and A5 were released @ 8:48 AM this morning 10/11/2022. The release took a while however finally happened at a later date. There maybe video of this release posted on YouTube at a later date. For those who want to watch. I may post here on this thread when the video become avaiable.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Wednesday 11/9/2022 @7:30 AM the last two California Condors for the year from the Northern California Condor Recovery Program are going to attempt to be release to the wild habitats of Northern Calfornia. The two California Condors A6 and A7 when released shall receive their Yurok Tribal names. These are going to be the last cohorts released this year. The NCCRP live feed shall remain going year round. However the next cohorts of six won't happen till late next year 2023.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

California Condor A7 was released Wednesday 11/9/2022. A7 is a female California Condor. Male California Condor A6 who was hoped to be released the same day. However was not released into the wild on 11/9/2022 or the following day 11/10/2022. The day of 11/11/2022 is supposed to be raining all day in the NCCRP release area location. That meaning A6 is going to schedualed for another attempted release on Saturday 11/12/2022. Digits crossed A6 makes an eventual fast release and aclaimation to the Northern California wild habitats.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The last California Condor A6 of the year has been released into the wild of Northern California on the morning of 11/16/2022. A6 has been given the Yurok tribal name of “Me-new-kwek' that means ‘I'm bashful’ or ‘I'm shy’ from NCCRP by director and Yurok tribal member Tiana Williams-Claussen. That means there are now eight California Condors flying in the wild skys and habitats of Northern California. However that is the last California Condor release for this year. The next cohort release shall happen sometime next year.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

On 12/14/2022 mentor California Condor 746 "Paaytoqin" was moved to the Oakland Zoo. Paaytoqin is a highly valuable breeder bird genetically and a demeanored mentor bird in the field. However there was an outbreak of highly pathogenic Avian Influenza detected in the NCCRP release site area. The difficult decision was made to move "Paaytoqin" 746 mentor California Condor, from the NCCRP release site in Northern California, to the Oakland Zoo till the outbreak is over.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There is 6 California Condors dinning in the rain today. These California Condors are capable of flying and foraging in rainy conditions. How a bird species with a 9.5 foot wingspan can thrive in wet and rainy conditions is amazing to me. The Condors in the rain are viewable @ the Live Feed link above.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
There is 6 California Condors dinning in the rain today. These California Condors are capable of flying and foraging in rainy conditions. How a bird species with a 9.5 foot wingspan can thrive in wet and rainy conditions is amazing to me. The Condors in the rain are viewable via the Live Feed above.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I got to see some feeding time😊 I thought one was dancing around with his wings spread out but now I think he was trying to hide the goods ( the hog or whatever they feed on) lol
Very cool!!

I got to see some feeding time😊 I thought one was dancing around with his wings spread out but now I think he was trying to hide the goods ( the hog or whatever they feed on) lol
Very cool!!
California Condors are similar to chameleons. When the temperatures are cold California Condors sunbath. That California Condor (I think A1) was most probably attempting to stretch out his/her wings to absorb sunshine during a momment of sunny weather.

The sunbathing California Condor is A1 "Hlow Hoo-let" a 3 year 9 month year old male.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Some of you may be asking "why am I posting the California Condor recovery program on a reptile page?". I am posting this thread with the agenda that I have got a couple of species of Endangered chameleons I aspire to start regovery programs for in the family "Chamaeleonidae". This thread on this Forums is to acquaint people with Endanged Species recovery programs.

Plus I think these programs are just neat to watch and observe.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom