California Condors Return To Northern California

The release of these pioneering 4 birds is scheduled for May the 4th, 2022. You should be able to watch the release on the live feed link. I am going to post updates.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There are two California Condors in the smaller release part of the release enclosure. They look to be awaiting release on May 4th, 2022.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The California Condor release happened today. Those of you who wanted to watch and missed it there is video of the release on YouTube.

I am looking forward to updates about these newly released California Condors.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Those of you that are watching some of the live feed. There is Condor A2 chasing away some Turkey Vultures at the release site right now. He has flown in and is feeding on a still born calf carcass.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Those Chameleon Forums members whom are watching the Yurok Tribe California Condor live feed. Tiana Claussen the director of the Yurok Tribe California Condor Reintroduction, Yurok Tribal member and Harvard graduate joined the live feed conversation today. Today all the newly released California Condors showed up to the release site, were feeding on still born calf carcasses, and were visiting Condors inside the release enclosure.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
California Condor A0 was released on 5/25/2022. A0 out of the 4 cohort being released is the only female California Condor being released. The last couple days since the release she has been feeding, staying near the release site, and doing well.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

California Condor A0 has been away from the release site for about 17 days. She most likely has not fed during this time. California Condors can go a couple weeks without food. However she is learning her flight skills and has flown into a remote part of the wilderness. Digits crossed she makes it back to the release site with her cohorts and has some food soon.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Epic news!! After well over 2 weeks female California Condor A0 returned to the release site. She was learning her sustainable flight skills and got lost in a remote part of forest away from biologist and people were becoming concerned. A0 returned to the release site today and feed for the first time in over 2 weeks. A0 was so ravenous she had her head, neck and feet inside the still born calf carcass at the release site. A0 fed for a couple hours. Great news she made it back to her cohorts, the release site, and a good a still born calf meal.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There is a California Condor that has been spotted flying in the California Motherlode area. The Condor has been spotted and photographed flying and perched about 15-20 minutes away from where I live in Calaveras and Tuolumne Counties. This is the first time a California Condor has been spotted in the California Motherlode, from my research at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum, since the 1930's. Wow!! And Spectacular!! I hope they become residents to this area more often. Plenty of California Condor habitat remains in this area of California and the California Motherlode.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I hope you are successful!!! That would be awesome.
There is some ambiguity to the reports about California Condors in the California Motherlode area. There was a first post on a California Condor Recovery Group Facebook group that there was a California Condor spotted near Columbia and Mountain ranch in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties in the California Motherlode region. That report was with posted with a picture of a/the Condor perched on a fire lookout rail allegedly on Blue Mountain near Mountain Ranch in Calaveras County. The rub/mix up is that there is a Blue Mountain in Tulare County in the Southern Sierra Nevada Foothills that has a similar fire look out tower. There was a post the next day with a picture of 8 California Condors from that location and fire lookout. I went birding two days after the first post for the lone California Condors and did not spot any Condors (or birds with 10 foot wingspans). However I think I did locate the fire lookout where the lookout is supposed to be in Blue Mountain Calaveras County.

California Condors have officially made it as far north in the Sierra Nevada foothills as Oakhurst. That is about 100-120 miles from my estimate away from where I live in Calaveras County. California Condors can travel/fly 150-200 miles in one day. Meaning with this growing population there is only a matter of time before I think an official and confirmed observation of California Condors happens in the California Motherlode.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
The last of this summers cohorts California Condor A1 is going to be released tomorrow 7/12/2022. The release does not have a release time. However for those that want to watch the release is probably going to happen in the morning between 8:00AM and 12:00PM. You can watch this first cohort release on the Yurok Tribes California Condor Live Feed.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

California Condor A1 did not want to be released today. Another attempt at releasing this California Condor is going to happen tomorrow @ 6:00AM.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Again male California Condor A1 did not want to be released into his new home wild environment today. There is going to be another attempt to release A1 into the wild in Northern California at the Yurok Tribes release site tomorrow starting @ 5:00 AM. You can view the release on the live feed link.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

A1 the last of this group of cohorts was released today @ dawn 7/14/2022. After the release A1 has taken off and gone exploring and has not been seen since. There is going to be another release of 4 California Condors at the Yurok Tribes release site later this year. You can watch that 2nd release and progress from the 1st release on the links to the live feed.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The release of the second group of California Condor cohorts into the Northern California California Condor Recovery Program release enclosure is going to happen on 8/16/2022. The time was not posted. However the new Condor cohorts have to go through a medical exam before they enter the release enclosure. This event is viewable on the Northern California Condor Live Feed link above.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom