California Condors Return To Northern California

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is a huge conservation biology event that is happening in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest right now. After being gone for over a century, the Yurok Tribe is reintroducing California Condors to Northern California in the Bald Hills region near Redwoods National Park. These giant birds were documented as once abundant in this coastal regions of this area. They are going to make their return to the Pacific Northwest this Spring. This mentor bird is the first California Condor to make it to the release pen this last Thursday 3/24/2022. Four more juvenile condors are going to be brought from the Big Sur area of central California to this Northern California acclamation enclosure in the next couple days.

This is a long awaited historic event I am going to observer and follow closely.

https://krcrtv.com/north-coast-news...-the-yurok-tribes-new-rehabilitation-facility

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Good news. I hope there isn't a clash with bald eagles that may have since filled the condors' niche.
That should not be a problem historically the two species have coexisted and actually coexist today. California Condors (Gymnogyps californianus) and Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) have their own niches. They today are seen coexisting in the Big Sur area. Bald Eagles are mostly aquatic and sometime terrestrial hunters that occasional scavenger. Eagles are capable and normally can fly 30-40 miles in a day. While California Condors are only scavengers that feed on the remains of large terrestrial and aquatic dead animals. California Condors can fly 150-200 miles a day while searching for food.

I have seen both in their natural habitat and they have got their own niche. The are their own species spectacularly in many ways.

Condors are larger than Eagles and I have got video on an old documentary (VHS) of Condors chasing away eagles from carcasses.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

So cool, I hope I can check this out later. Do you think they will have it available to view? Can’t watch it live… 😢
Very cool. Giant Avian American Birds Of Prey! The live feed is 24/7. There are 3 Condors now with 2 to go now. They are going the live feed until the actual release next month.

Best Regards
Jeremy A.Rich

Last edited:
The last California Condor is out in the release pen. Again a group of Biologist taking lots of pictures. That was great and long awaited. The last time a California Condor was documented in the Pacific Northwest was in the 1920's in a drainage in Oregon. This day was 100 years or a century in the making!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I have seen California Condors from that population in the Big Sur area or Ventana Wilderness. That coastline is a special area as for vista's and wildlife viewing. There is Condor watching, multiple species of whale watching, Elephant Seal watching, Sea Otters, when extremely luck Great White Sharks and etc.... (A Gray Wolf last Year) I make an attempt to visit this area when I am capable of making the excursion.

California Condors are big to the degree that hollowed out Redwood Tree's (the tallest tree's in the world) making great nesting sites for them. There are going to be plenty more Redwood Tree's in the Northern California population reintroduction area.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That Iniko Condor is a great story. The baby Condor that was rescued from a Redwood Tree nest during a huge fire. Then was raised in captivity and returned to the wild. You can watch Iniko flying around the coastline cliff's of Big Sur. Baby Iniko was a huge story a couple years ago and a celebrity now.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The biologist working with the California Condors in central California have started naming the birds after Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and Greek and Roman mythology characters. Some names are Tyrion, Hodor, Appollo, Minerva, Poseidon, Cerdric, Pigwidgeon, and Sirius.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I actually think California Condors should be renamed North American Condors once they have recovered through out other parts/states of their historic range. I think they should be call North American Condors because historically the species was found from BC, Canada, to Baja Mexico, all the way to state of Florida, and as far northeast to the state of New York. California has the species name title now since the state is the species stronghold. However changing the common name of the species is an idea for the species recovery and expansion to other states and other area's of former habitat/range.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom