California Condors Return To Northern California

I wish you good luck with your program and appreciate you sharing the California Condor link! I find it interesting to see. 😊

Those of you that are watching this thread. There has been some neat video footage the last 10 days. The Yurok Tribes release site has been covered in snow. The Yurok Tribes Live Feed has had some great footage of California Condors feeding in the snow. You can watch from the Yurok Tribe Live Feed above.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is a neat California Condor video I decided I should post. These California Condors from the Southern California population (not the Yurok Tribes release site) flew down from the Southern California mountains to rangelands outside of the town of Ojia, CA. The eleven Condors were foraging on a dead cow carcass. Amazing close up footage of California Condors.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Is this another condor release site or just a lucky shot?
This is near the Southern California release site. The location that the Critically Endangered reminant truly wild population of California Condors were living in before all the California Condors were brought into captivity. These Southern California reintroduced California Condors are starting to show up in area's where they have not been seen in a long period of time. Some of these Southern California, California Condors have been seen in the Central California Motherlode region about 20 minutes away from where I live Central California. This is a neat goings on here in the Western USA!!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is near the Southern California release site. The location that the Critically Endangered reminant truly wild population of California Condors were living in before all the California Condors were brought into captivity. These Southern California reintroduced California Condors are starting to show up in area's where they have not been seen in a long period of time. Some of these Southern California, California Condors have been seen in the Central California Motherlode region about 20 minutes away from where I live Central California. This is a neat goings on here in the Western USA!!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I live in central California San Luis Obispo county just south of Big Sur. we have a lake up here, lake Nascimento , at one end of the lake we have two large bald eagle nest and have been able to watch them produce several offspring over the last few years . Just recently two California condors have taken up residence. Here on the north end of the lake. The next time we go up there I will try to get some pictures. But talking to friends who live on the lake, they’ve definitely set up residency. 😎

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That is awesome news! I am so happy to see some real advancement in the true range of these birds. Seeing 11 in one setting is pretty amazing progress!

I live in central California San Luis Obispo county just south of Big Sur. we have a lake up here, lake Nascimento , at one end of the lake we have two large bald eagle nest and have been able to watch them produce several offspring over the last few years . Just recently two California condors have taken up residence. Here on the north end of the lake. The next time we go up there I will try to get some pictures. But talking to friends who live on the lake, they’ve definitely set up residency. 😎

One of the best places to view these California Condors is near your area of central California. The drive on the Big Sur Coast on Highway 1 is a great place to view these giant California Condors. I say that location is a top five location to view them. The northern part of the Highway 1 drive there is a big feeding and release site. I have spotted groups of California Condors there before. That makes a great day, go to Carmel and 15 minutes south of there view giant California Condors. I have done that day drive more than a couple times. This species as they recover are going to be spread out over most of there native range. Great to hear you have got a group of these gregarious giants near where you live. There is a less well known feeding and release site in San Simeon. That is not far from San Luis Obispo.

That is awesome news! I am so happy to see some real advancement in the true range of these birds. Seeing 11 in one setting is pretty amazing progress!
California Condors are a gregarious species. There is documentation of these California Condors being spotted in groups of over 50 giant Calfornia Condors together in one group. I have got a stock photo of one of those groups. These California Condors are neat to watch and observe. There is no other bird in North America that are similar to them.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
My Avatar background for my Facebook profile is of about 40 Andean Condors I spotted when I visited Argentina. This is a group of about of about 10 California Condors on the Coast of Highway 1. Pardon me, credit of this photo to the photographer. This is a stock photo I got from the web. I have got a picture of 20 Condors flying over the rolling hills of California at Bitter Creek California Condor preserve. Bitter Creek is on the other side of the mountain where the Ojia California Condor video was filmed. This web site in not letting upload that picture.

BigSurCaliforniaCondors1.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The Yurok Tribe Live Feed is back up today. The Yurok Tribe Live Feed camera's were off line for almost a month do to battery/snow/cold issues. That is anouncement for those who are watching the Live Feed California Condors on this thread or elsewhere.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This post is for the those whom have not heard the recent news. There has been an outbreak of highly contagious Avain Flu in the California Condor population that lives in the Ariznona/Utah population of California Condors. This population in the period of about a month, has had 21 California Condors, in a population of about 118 California Condor population, have died. The program says that is a decade worth of progress now set back. Good news though! Avain Flu is transmitted best in wet conditions and with a dry hot summer approaching, digits crossed, the outbreak does not affect more California Condors in the Arizona/Utah populations or other populations.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/06/us/california-condors-avian-flu-scn-trnd/index.html

The Yurok Tribe California Condor recovery program is preparing for a possible outbreak and is accepting donations to build quarantine enclosures.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

🤞so sad, hopefully no more are lost.

This outbreak is one of the reasons the California Condor recovery program has multiple release site locations. When/if an outbreak happens there is more locations. That meaning the entire California Condor population won't be entirely affected as what they would be with only one California Condor release/recovery site.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You said…”This population in the period of about a month, has had 21 California Condors, in a population of about 118 California Condor population, have died”…this is so sad. All that progress down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom