Cages for panther chameleons

Sezny

Hello,

I am a new chameleon breeder and would like to share my enclosure to know if you guys see anything wrong about it. I have 2 cages, 1 for a male 1 for a female.
They are both XL repti breeze (24x24x48 inches). I only put real plants that I washed and then put in the terrarium one month ago. I have read it was better for the humidity. They are both misted by a Moonson from Exo Terra 2 minutes twice a day.
For the lightning, each terrarium has 4 lamps of 1500 lumens each, the light is 5000 kelvins to match the sunlight color.
For the UV, I am going to use a Vitalux bulb from Osram. These things are so powerfull you just have to use it tree times half an hour a day and your chameleon get all of the UV he needs (a lots of european people use it and it works great).
For the heat, I use a 300 watt brooder lamp for chicks. There is nothing to provide heat in the night and the temperature in my apartment can go as low as 60 degrees during night. Do you think it is too cold?

Set up 1:
IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

This one will be for the male. There is almost no substrate and the plants on the walls grow in potting soil behind a mesh.
Do you think it is not too many plants? This one is the repti breeze deluxe and the front door is made in acrylic. I thought it was not good for a chameleon to see itself. My chameleon was first definitely worried about it but now he seems doing better but is more active than when he was in the previous cage without acrylic. He is not hiding though. Does someone has experience about it?

2) Set up 2
IMG_2702.jpg

This one is the enclosure for the female. There is a 15 inches substratum in the bottom to let her lay eggs. Is there enough perching on this one? I dont have anything to drain the substrate so I put a lots of plants in it and moss on the ground and so far the bottom is not soaking.

As you dan see I can not change the substratum very often. I only raise captive breed chameleons and I have seen that they don't have a lots of parasites, unlike snakes. Do you think it is very bad?

All recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Looks amazing! Can you please fill out the ask for help form, the parts that don't have to do with the chameleons, just the enclosure parts? I am curious about your temperatures. My main recommendation is to get smaller branches and vines for them. Great job, you did your research! (y)

Looks good! Never too much plants. You need to mist more that twice a day for two minutes though. Get good temp probes in there to make sure the temps are right.

Thank you for your answers!
Here are the infos:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther, male, approx.1 yo
  • Handling - not a lot, eats in hand when he likes the prey. Mild temperament, not shy but not bold
  • Feeding - Dubia roaches, crickets, millworm, superworms and hornworm. Crickets are the only insects I don't raise. I give % crickets or ! adult roach and 3 millworms... 1 or 2 days with no food per week
  • Supplements - only calcium, but I am thinking about D3 once a week
  • Fecal Description - solid, a fith of it composed in urea
  • Temperature - 90 on basking branche, 80 in the upper part. Room temperature at night. I look more at his behavior: he stays for 30 minutes at basking spot in the morning and then spent most of his time in the upper area, get a bit of freshness in plants sometimes. I feel like it is a nice behavior, he dos not runaway from lamp or crave for heat.
  • Humidity - not measured, auto misted 2 min twice a day and a lots of plants. I hand mist once almost everyday. His molt was fine, a bit of skin remained on two back spikes for 5-6 days and felt alone. Is it fine?
  • Plants - Probably more than 20 real little plants
  • Placement - cage is in living room, a bit of traffic in the morning and evening. No kids and no other pets
  • Location - North Carolina

Couple things. First of all, stop feeding mealworms. They can cause impaction and offer almost no nutrition whatsoever.

Secondly, please don't just "think about" getting calcium+D3. This supplement is not optional and your chameleon will develop MBD without it (unless it spends large amounts of time outdoors on the regular).

In addition to the temp probe mentioned above, you need to get a hygrometer to measure the humidity as well. Panthers need high-ish humidity, so it's not safe to just hope for the best.

Thank you for your answer, I will get some vitamine. How often should I give D3?

I will get an hygrometer too, but I once have tested 3 hygrometers from the same brand in the same room and the results were like: 40%, 60%, 70% !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom