Votes: 163 19.8%
  • bi-weekly

Votes: 176 21.3%
  • weekly

Votes: 352 42.7%
  • monthly

Votes: 134 16.2%

• Total voters
Hi Guys. Just on this topic I wonder could someone give me some advice. I got my first cham yest ( a young male veiled ) and was wondering whats the best way to clean him. Would it be to remove him completely from his cage and then deep clean the whole thing (along with spot cleaning)? Whats the best thing to clean him with? Thanks.

Well, first congrats on the new cham:) Ok, what I do for my chams is if I'm just spot cleaning I dont bother to take them out. Once every other day to every three days I'll spot clean. I make sure there is clean water every day (wash out bowl and all), If I'm doing a larger cleaning once a week or every other week I will take out my cham and place her on a large tree I have in my room. She can get some exercise and I can clean the tank. I make sure the substrate is clean and clear of the worst of the debris, (dead leaves, poop, crickets, etc), and i just give a good rinse down under hot water for the foliage and branches. (Most are fake, I just now got a live plant for her). Again it depends on the temperment of your cham, mine are easily handled and dont mind coming out at all, but some hate coming out. I try to avoid disturbing things too much.

daily crap cleaning, and i use a multilayer substrate so i just remove it as needed i get low, and then i take out and replace cleaning the cage as well. other things get done as needed depending on how much activity goes on in them. its a round robin cycle

I clean mine just about everyday! I wipe down the bottom with a paper towel and get any fallen leaves or cricket legs:p!!! then I put new paper towels down
Next, I refill the mister and the spray bottle and add a few more crickets if need( which i dotn seem to have to do becasue ester is on a hunger strike...)

It's definitly not necessary to clean the enclosure daily ! This is more harmful for your cham than clean it weekly or in other cycles.
It's the pure stress for the chameleons when a human hand grabbs daily in their enclosure for a few minutes !
To clean daily is only reasonable when you have fresh imported animals which have parasits

I've fashioned a small mop and broom with customized chameleon-hand grips. I give these to my female Panther cham and she cleans up for her and her boyfriend while he sits on a branch and watches football. He's a bit chauvinistic, but far be it from me to interfere with nature!

This is Funny!!! lol and im a girl!!

pick up all the feces when visible with glove then have a containter to put in untill it gets full then go use it as compost

I wipeout the still water on the bottom every day and take out the feces. I also take Ernie out and do a scrub down every 7-10 days while he showers.

I'm not as fastideous about cleaning lol Luckily, my Jackson's likes to poop in the same place, which is where I leave his feeder bowl. He'll sit there, eat, and poop in the dish. So I just clean the dish, but as for the rest of the cage I'll typically wash out the bottom of the cage really well once a week. There's really nothing on the ground, so it's easy to scoop up the dry leaves, occasional poop, and whatever else might be on the ground and then wash it with disinfectant.

I have to admit I never wash the plants with him, because he never poops in them. With my baby panther yes, but not with my Jackson's. However, I did have to start bowl feeding just because I kept finding superworm beetles poping out of the most random places, which means they were hiding somewhere and changing. So I don't use loose feeders anymore. Because they're gross.

spot clean daily, monthly or so on (full substrate change whipe down etc) i use springtails and will be getting other cleaner insects since i have naturalistic vivs

how do you guys do the "thorough cleaning"??? do you remove the plants and vines and give it a good spray down outside???

how do you guys do the "thorough cleaning"??? do you remove the plants and vines and give it a good spray down outside???

That's what I do. I pick up poop as I see it, wipe the bottom as needed and every couple of weeks outside for a thorough cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom