CA power outage :(

I dont know if i should laugh or not...

A tesla running off of normal outlet charges at 2 miles and hour
Since there is no power, people are trying to charge there cars using gas generators
Even if you max out the generator, a tesla will only charge at 8 miles and hour tops, from a "dryer plug". Yet the generator will be using a gallon of gas an hour...

Oh that is sooooooo good! Now you do not have to be doing consistent water changes on the tanks! :love:

Yeah that is great news! My aquariums and terrariums in the Aquarium/Reptile room are good! Normal issue with aquariums, I have to make water changes every couple of days anyway.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

My family and I just received notice from PG & E that the power is going to be shut off within the next 24-36 hours. There is a generartor now for the Aquarium/Reptile room. Meaning this time the Aquariums and Reptile room are prepared and for the power outage and this outage may not be as much of a chore.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
My family and I just received notice from PG & E that the power is going to be shut off in the next 24-36 hours. There is a generartor now for the Aquarium/Reptile room. Meaning this time the Aquariums and Reptile room are prepared and for the power outage and this outage may not be as much of a chore.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
We got our notice at 8pm tonight for a 36-48 hour warning... so sometime on Saturday and they are saying everything from 24-72 hours without it. Fun stuff. :cry: stay safe!

That sucks for you guys. I've been watching the fire on the news. Beman, did you get the generator?

That sucks for you guys. I've been watching the fire on the news. Beman, did you get the generator?
No, I did not expect them to turn around and do another one so quickly. I am still trying to figure out what I can get that will work for my area along with getting my paycheck next week. I was thinking solar because we have no place to store a large generator or the gas for it here. But then with solar I am screwed if we are fogged in or getting rain. We are going into our nasty weather season where rain and fog can be an everyday thing. So in that case solar would not work. With them being so expensive I just do not want to waste money either. :(

See my bicycle generator link is looking pretty good right now. :ROFLMAO:

But on a serious note, I hope it doesn't get shut off or if it does its not as long as last time.

Last edited:
See my bicycle generator link is looking pretty good right now. :ROFLMAO:

But on a serious note, I hope it doesn't get shut off or if it does its not as long as last time.
For real! :hilarious: They are not giving specifics again but they are covering all their bases by giving 24-48 hours notice and saying it could last anywhere from 24-72 hours. This is honestly the craziest thing I have ever seen and I have lived in a lot of places. I have never seen something like this even in a disaster situation. I have gone through hurricanes, tornadoes, and wild fires. Never once was power turned off prior. It is just nuts to me.

For real! :hilarious: They are not giving specifics again but they are covering all their bases by giving 24-48 hours notice and saying it could last anywhere from 24-72 hours. This is honestly the craziest thing I have ever seen and I have lived in a lot of places. I have never seen something like this even in a disaster situation. I have gone through hurricanes, tornadoes, and wild fires. Never once was power turned off prior. It is just nuts to me.
I'm so sorry!

Watch--- next they will find someway to charge you for the outage. Perhaps something like (Fire prevention fee) I am down south east of San Diego and we got power shut off today. Couple of fires and high winds.

Last edited:
My family and I just received notice from PG & E that the power is going to be shut off within the next 24-36 hours. There is a generartor now for the Aquarium/Reptile room. Meaning this time the Aquariums and Reptile room are prepared and for the power outage and this outage may not be as much of a chore.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Hey Jeremy how are y’all doing? Did they shut yours off? Ours went down last night. With the fire four hours south of us it should be interesting to see if they bring ours back up or leave it down due to the fire and mandatory evacuation going on in Santa Rosa.

No, I did not expect them to turn around and do another one so quickly. I am still trying to figure out what I can get that will work for my area along with getting my paycheck next week. I was thinking solar because we have no place to store a large generator or the gas for it here. But then with solar I am screwed if we are fogged in or getting rain. We are going into our nasty weather season where rain and fog can be an everyday thing. So in that case solar would not work. With them being so expensive I just do not want to waste money either. :(

If you go solar you can precharge it (keep it fully charged at all times), and if the weather forecast is crap you’ll have to adjust your time and usage. Thats a definite advantage of gasoline, but gasoline needs to remain outdoors and they’re loud as hell.

If you go solar you can precharge it (keep it fully charged at all times), and if the weather forecast is crap you’ll have to adjust your time and usage. Thats a definite advantage of gasoline, but gasoline needs to remain outdoors and they’re loud as hell.
I honestly don’t know enough about what to buy or how long it would run anything. That is where I am stuck. Right now I have the ambient temp at 70 instead of 55 like last time and his cage covered to keep it dark. I’m afraid I will stress him out more if I open blinds. I honestly am really at a loss. I read stuff saying that 2-3 days without power they will be fine just don’t disturb them. But I know how pissy he gets when he wants it warm and the basking lamp is not warming fast enough. Plus he hates having all the blinds open. I think it is the difference in the natural light. I have extremely big windows in the room 3 of the 4 make up one wall basically. None of them get direct sun to actually provide heat. I dunno I’m honestly out of my element on what is best here. I just don’t want to spend a ton of money on the wrong thing either. I have no problem spending money as is his cage has every bell and whistle I could get. But those were items I understood. I just don’t understand the solar one or what they will run and for how long. :cry:

Whats his basking bulb at? Figure a 60w bulb .... if you had a solar generator with 400watt hours, that means you get 6.67 hours of run time on a full battery w/o recharging. Thats not a lot, but perhaps enough for very basic care. The misters prob have a very low draw. You can (should) get a larger generator. I’d get a 1000 or 1250 at a minimum. That gives you room for cloudy days, charging your own stuff, etc.

Personally, I would open the windows. My guys enjoy looking out them and it will make it easier for you to light the cage. If he can go a few days without uvb, I’d put a basking bulb near his free range tree at the window and let him spend as much time there as possible. It will give you more light for less power. That would he a treat to my guys!

Whats his basking bulb at? Figure a 60w bulb .... if you had a solar generator with 400watt hours, that means you get 6.67 hours of run time on a full battery w/o recharging. Thats not a lot, but perhaps enough for very basic care. The misters prob have a very low draw. You can (should) get a larger generator. I’d get a 1000 or 1250 at a minimum. That gives you room for cloudy days, charging your own stuff, etc.

Personally, I would open the windows. My guys enjoy looking out them and it will make it easier for you to light the cage. If he can go a few days without uvb, I’d put a basking bulb near his free range tree at the window and let him spend as much time there as possible. It will give you more light for less power. That would he a treat to my guys!
Thanks hun... once we get power I am going to look into options. :banghead:

Hey Jeremy how are y’all doing? Did they shut yours off? Ours went down last night. With the fire four hours south of us it should be interesting to see if they bring ours back up or leave it down due to the fire and mandatory evacuation going on in Santa Rosa.

Hey Beman

The power went out here on midnight Saturday and turned back on @5:00 PM on Tuesday. Things improved this time around with having the gas generator on here for the house and the Aquarium and Reptile room. Both of those the house and the Aquarium and Reptile room made it through well. There was some drama at my place though. I almost had a disaster with my baby Salvani Cichlids, however I saved most everyone.

My guidance is for everyone in California if PG & E makes a habit out of this power outage type deal. Invest in a power generator!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom