C Jacksonii in bad condition

NFP

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Exo terra flexarium 43x43x76 cm
Lighting - Namiba Terra Replux UV Heat D3 Temperature - Temperature: 25-28 c, Basking 33 C. Night temperature is about 26 C
Humidity - 70-80 %, i maintain humidity by sprinklers
Plants - no live plants
Location - at low traffic area

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - C. Jacksonii, age i don't know, can you tell me about his age, he's wc
Feeding - He came on friday (20.7) and he eat about 6 zoophobas (worms), after that he didin't eat for about 4 days, then he eat 1 worm. All insects are gutloaded. My question is, how much food must he eat? How often? And how old is he (he is 10 cm long from head to vent)?

Supplements - We use Nekton (MSA, Colour Rep, and multivitamins) once-twice a week.
Watering - He drinks water wery well. When he comes he was dehidrated.
Fecal Description - Normal feces but crowled with parasites
History - He's wc and was sold to local pet shop. They didn't care for him so hi is in bad condition. He didin't shred normaly and have a large amount of old skin on him, now is situation a little bit better
Current Problem - He eats every few days small amounts of food - doesn't want to eat coacroaches and crickets and he is a bit dehidrated, old skin on him, skin condition

Pics of him

Last edited:
nekton rep, if that's what you're using, is VERY hgih in preformed vitamin A content, and could be dangerous in the long run to your jacksonii.

Go VERY easy on the vitamins - like once a month.

Howdy,

I'd concentrate on re-hydration. Lots of rainy/misty/drippy sessions lasting 5-10 even 20 minutes at a time. Maybe 2-3-4 times a day. If you can, use warm water - maybe 30C - at least not 10C. My reason is that he may tolerate direct misting that way and minimize the stress of the interaction.

If you have access to a gram scale, get his weight. Track it and if he isn't loosing weight then you don't have to worry as much about feeding until he gets properly hydrated. Depending on how big the superworms were, he may have eaten too much. Hopefully he is digesting and pooping. I have found that WC chameleons can over-eat with their first meals. It's probably good to limit their food intake to just a few items per feeding to ease them back into normal feeding routines.

What country are you located?

If he is inside you are going to need a light that produces UVb. The one you mentioned is for naucturnal reptiles. It produces no UVb. You will need one that produce at least 5% (most manufacture sell them rated like 5.0). The number will be relative to the percentage of the UVb it produces.

With proper temperatures and yours seem good something like a superworm is good in moderation. The chitin in their exoskeleton will act just like a human with a high fiber diet. It can actually aid in digestion. To much at once can be hard for them to move through the digestive tract all at once and some can experience problems.

Your guy looks like an adult or close enough. I feed mine every other day when they are that size. It tends to make them less picky, eat faster and controls their food intake since they are in a limited space enviroment. 5-7 cricket sized feeders every other day should be enough or at least I think.

nekton rep, if that's what you're using, is VERY hgih in preformed vitamin A content, and could be dangerous in the long run to your jacksonii.

Go VERY easy on the vitamins - like once a month.

We use nekton msa once-twice in week, and nekton colour rep once in other second week. Multivitamins they get once ina a month ;)

If he is inside you are going to need a light that produces UVb. The one you mentioned is for naucturnal reptiles. It produces no UVb. You will need one that produce at least 5% (most manufacture sell them rated like 5.0). The number will be relative to the percentage of the UVb it produces.

He is inside. This lamp produces uvb (8%).

With proper temperatures and yours seem good something like a superworm is good in moderation. The chitin in their exoskeleton will act just like a human with a high fiber diet. It can actually aid in digestion. To much at once can be hard for them to move through the digestive tract all at once and some can experience problems.

He's pooping every day in the noon and feces now seem to be ok. We gave him panakur (for parasites) and situation is now much better.

Your guy looks like an adult or close enough. I feed mine every other day when they are that size. It tends to make them less picky, eat faster and controls their food intake since they are in a limited space enviroment. 5-7 cricket sized feeders every other day should be enough or at least I think.

This is our first jackson and we dont know much of them, i thik that he have 2-3 years because he have very long horns and tip toes :/

Thnx on your advice ;)

Howdy,

I'd concentrate on re-hydration. Lots of rainy/misty/drippy sessions lasting 5-10 even 20 minutes at a time. Maybe 2-3-4 times a day. If you can, use warm water - maybe 30C - at least not 10C. My reason is that he may tolerate direct misting that way and minimize the stress of the interaction.

We mist him about 6 time a day, but only for minute or two. Water is about 24 C. Is this also ok?

If you have access to a gram scale, get his weight. Track it and if he isn't loosing weight then you don't have to worry as much about feeding until he gets properly hydrated. Depending on how big the superworms were, he may have eaten too much. Hopefully he is digesting and pooping. I have found that WC chameleons can over-eat with their first meals. It's probably good to limit their food intake to just a few items per feeding to ease them back into normal feeding routines.

What country are you located?

Thnx on that ;)

We are located in Croatia (Europe)

Howdy NFP,

24C is survivable. A little warmer might be a little less stressful...

What a coincidence! The reptile store owner that I know and help once in a while is 1/2 Croatian and is visiting relatives there right now! Sorry, I don't know where :(.

:)

Yes Dave, that is realy nice coincidence. We are in capital citi of croatia (Zagreb).

Can somebody post pictures of young jacksonii and pictures of growing? (6 months, 1 year, 2 years or so)

Howdy NFP,

I meant to mention that it might be worthwhile to extend the misting sessions from a minute or two and try as much as 20 minutes of warm water misting. I found that many WC chameleons in the local reptile store took many, many minutes to get their drinking responses to trigger. Even my own CB adult panther will sometimes wait until 15 minutes into an automated misting session to begin to drink. Also, having your chameleon exposed to a 20 minute constant misty/drippy/rainy session will allow him to take-in water around his eyes etc. He may not look like he is taking advantage of all of that water but having the opportunity to access it may make a big difference in the long-run.

Just to update.

Our jackson is much better, he's drinking very well and eat about one zoophobas maybe two daily and skin is in much better condition. I will put some pictures later

Thnx everyone on your help ;)

Back
Top Bottom