Bump at left hip only

APailthorp

Chameleon Info:

My Chameleon - Veil Chameleon, male, 6-8 months I understand. I bought him on impulse a few hours after a visit at the pet store a week ago.
Handling - I've handled him briefly about four times including unpacking him over the last week. He doesn't like it.
Feeding - Some crickets and some super worms so far. Kale, apple, and carrot, although it is hard to say those guts have actually loaded. I just got an order of Dubai today and will be attempting to get those to be staple. Silk, horn, butter, and black soldiers on the way.
Supplements - None yet, but some Rep Cal with and without D3 on the way, as well as some multi. Plan is calcium on most everything, with D3 twice a month, with multi once a month.
Watering - Misting by hand until system for new cage arrives. I have seen Henry drink, not a lot or every day.
Fecal Description - Like bird poop, some white and greenish brown. No parasite tests I know of.
History - I should probably go find out some more details from the pet shop.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Screen, 18"x18"x36". To be replaced by Dragon Strand Large Breeder as soon as I get it, in about another 10 days I think.
Lighting - From the pet shop, Exo-Terra (? threw out the box) UVB coiled CFL, red 50w infrared basking spot, generic 65w flood. HO T5 quad on the way for the new cage. There's also a ceramic heat bulb pointed around the mid section of the cage to try and keep the temperature up.
Temperature - Ambient room temp is about 65. 70-85 in the cage I'd guess, still taking temps, don't have great gear for that.
Humidity - Cheap pet store gauge shows 40-60%, expect to bring this up in the new cage with automatic misting and rain head.
Plants - Just a couple so far, a "Money Tree" and a small Pothos, as well as some plastic plants I try to set a drip on.
Placement - In the corner of our living room, away from windows, floor at about 26" above floor, top at 62".
Location - Seattle

Current Problem - There is a bump on his left hip. He may have been bruised during the ride home, I tried to drive gently but the pet shop packed him up in a box without a paper towel or anything to hold onto. I could hear him sliding around on the cardboard a bit. He seems okay, not super interested in food, but we're all so new to each other. I've seen the terrible pictures of MBD, and have noticed how much of a topic it is (was completely clueless at time of purchase but am undaunted). So I want to get opinions on this itty bitty little bump Henry has. There's also this little white thing, not sure it if skin trying to break free, or maybe a bit of poop. He had it from the pet shop.

Sorry about the picture quality, I don't want to bug him more than I need to for now.

Attachments

• 16336198980_4d8ff884d7_o.jpg
    16336198980_4d8ff884d7_o.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 387
  • 16497640616_c92edcced2_o.jpg
    16497640616_c92edcced2_o.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 366
Here are a couple more pictures of Henry.

Attachments

• 16337801437_3e85249110_o.jpg
    16337801437_3e85249110_o.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 385
  • 16497705226_07dd4be9f6_o.jpg
    16497705226_07dd4be9f6_o.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 245
Hmmmmmm, that looks like a cyst to me. I would see a vet and confirm that it is or isn't a cyst. If it is, it will need drained by a professional! Consult a vet! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Henry had his first visit to the vet today for a general exam and to look at this bump. The doctor examined him and the bump, said it was hard and didn't move, and that the rest of his skeleton seems fine (jaw, limbs), and that she thought it was a bone spur. It might be from some trauma (my word) in the past. She said to just watch it, he is in good health overall, and that we'd leave it alone. Yay!

Here's another image where you can see the bone spur. Nothing to worry about says the exotic vet. I think he's settling in, eating, pooping with white.

Attachments

• 16551691636_d9c8698afd_o.jpg
    16551691636_d9c8698afd_o.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 644
Thanks for the advice. Henry had his first visit to the vet today for a general exam and to look at this bump. The doctor examined him and the bump, said it was hard and didn't move, and that the rest of his skeleton seems fine (jaw, limbs), and that she thought it was a bone spur. It might be from some trauma (my word) in the past. She said to just watch it, he is in good health overall, and that we'd leave it alone. Yay!

He's very cute. There is just something special about those male veiled with their cone heads.

One of my wild caught Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis has a lump on his leg. When I first saw it, it was quite hard although I didn't palpate, fearing it was a fracture from his recent capture. The x-ray was inconclusive, ranging from an old fracture, to an abscess to MBD (which they can get even a new wild caught because of the poor living conditions between capture and arrival in the US).

It got worse and I took him back to another vet who now found it soft. She believes it is an abscess. She said if I treated it surgically--by lancing it--the stress of everything would kill him. He is on Baytril, and is hoping his body will seal it off and he can go on with his life. He is dealing with a skin infection plus infections along the backbone from rub injuries that exposed the bone of his dorsal fins. She said that all the infection from various injuries might have all drained down to that one spot. Or, there was a small injury near the abscess where bacteria entered his body.

Regardless of how he got the infection, surgery and draining are not an option. I don't know if she would feel the same way about my captive bred and reasonably tame veileds.

The by products of an infection in reptiles and birds look nothing like the pus in mammals. It is hard and waxy.

I think your vet gave you good advice.

Back
Top Bottom