Building enclosure, Any Tips?

Matt1851

Hey guys, so i was going to throw away this book shelf that i had when i realised i could totally turn it into an enclosure. Its got two solid sides but the front and back are open and im going to cut the top for the lights and whatnot. its 42 high by 22 wide by 15 front to back is this a good size? also if i have an upen top, front and back do i need to cut the sides and put screen or will it be ok? once again tips would be nice :)

What species do you plan to keep in it?

What you are describing can work just fine. If you have a front, top, and back that are screen you do not need to cut out the sides. I am assuming that this shelf is made of particle board or wood? If it is particle board and the parts that face the interior of the cage are smooth melamine, you don't have to do anything to it. If it is wood or if it is painted you will need to paint the interior with something clear to protect it from water damage. My favorite waterproofing materials are clear two part epoxy. Make sure you let it off gas properly before adding animals.

What species do you plan to keep in it?

What you are describing can work just fine. If you have a front, top, and back that are screen you do not need to cut out the sides. I am assuming that this shelf is made of particle board or wood? If it is particle board and the parts that face the interior of the cage are smooth melamine, you don't have to do anything to it. If it is wood or if it is painted you will need to paint the interior with something clear to protect it from water damage. My favorite waterproofing materials are clear two part epoxy. Make sure you let it off gas properly before adding animals.

ya i have a nosy be panther, im not going to put him in right away i guess you could say im working on it as he grows since he is only 4 1/2 months. and ya the insides are melamine so it should be good

Just figure out where the water is going before anything is built! lol It's the worst when you do something with your chams and you realize you didn't think about drainage

use silicone to seal between boards. if water gets on an exposed wood edge, it will ruin the melamine. So, SEAL SEAL SEAL!!!

Back
Top Bottom