Buddy language

Katrisone

Hello guys,

I want to share with you video of my 1.5yr veiled chamaleon Buddy. I am wondering what this behaviour mean? :) He is doing it every time I get closer to his terrarium but he was never doing that before. The terrarium is really big so we put them together with female ~0.5yr ago. My theory is that he is showing me who is the alpha male here or something that. He is not doing it outside of enclosure. Anyway I think it is really cool so I wanted to share it with you.

He can see his reflection in the glass and is getting angry at it because he thinks it is another male cham

Or he really hates the cup/hand if hes not spending the whole day poofing at the cham in the reflection. After all, a lot of chams simply hate cell phones.

Ohh so he is bot doing it because of me but because when I get closer the glass become less transparent and he suddenly see himself? That would make sence kind of. But he is making it even when I open the cage and there is no reflection.

Ok thanks guys. Just to make clear - the cage is really big, it is after adult iguanas. Both have their own UVB, heating spot and also own feeding place. They are both light green all day long unless I open the cage when feeding them. Then male start doing this but other than that they doesnt seem anyhow stressed.

Ok thanks guys. Just to make clear - the cage is really big, it is after adult iguanas. Both have their own UVB, heating spot and also own feeding place. They are both light green all day long unless I open the cage when feeding them. Then male start doing this but other than that they doesnt seem anyhow stressed.

How long have they been kept together?

Looks like a-shower that was turned into an enclosure. If you insist on housing them together I strongly recommend heavily planted dense dense density so she can escape him when he decides that he wants her out

You do realize that by keeping the male and female in the same cage you're going to end up with fertile eggs soon...and again and again? IMHO the stress on the female going through all at and the stress on he male defending his territory/female will have a negative effect one the health of at least one of them....don't you?
Chances are you won't even realize it until it's too late.

How long have they been kept together?
It has been around 5 months now. And we already have 41 healthy looking eggs now (2 months old now).

Can you post some pics of the complete setup?
Yes, I will later today. Now they have night :)

Looks like a-shower that was turned into an enclosure. If you insist on housing them together I strongly recommend heavily planted dense dense density so she can escape him when he decides that he wants her out
No, it is not :) We figured out all that stuff, you will see on pictures.

You do realize that by keeping the male and female in the same cage you're going to end up with fertile eggs soon...and again and again? IMHO the stress on the female going through all at and the stress on he male defending his territory/female will have a negative effect one the health of at least one of them....don't you?
Chances are you won't even realize it until it's too late.
Yes I realize. And if she will have fertile eggs too often I will figure out something else. By now more than 2.5m x 1m x 1m is I think big enough space to keep them togerther. I tried to consult it with many breeders and they all agreed it is more than enough. They barely interact with each other.

I've done co-hab with Jackson's 1 male 3 female but it was in a 12'x7'x7'green house filled with ficus.
That seems even bigger than mine :) But seems they wasnt suffering or anything?

I've done it with c.chamaeleons too...but it doesn't work with all species. I think it depends partly on their reproductive cycle.
Thanks for answer.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Is your enclosure bioactive? If no then remove the substrate ASAP, it’s a breeding ground for bacteria. Your bulbs should be outside (this is an on-going argument so this is IMHO) You need more coverage so your Cham feels safe, since they are arboreal they’re enclosure need to feel and look like the canopy of “crown” of the tree. Looks like you don’t have a T5HO strip, it’s important for your Chams health. Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Back
Top Bottom