Bruce got a new home

inkdguy35

Established Member
20160731_114920.jpg

20160727_221210.jpg

20160729_092408.jpg
This is Bruce's new home. I had him in the medium reptibreeze cage which is 16x16x30 and is great and all but pales in comparison to this kind of enclosure which is now 24x24x48. Rather than spend a ridiculous amount of money on an enclosure. I went to various stores to obtain the materials to complete this project (home depot, Lowes,etc.) It is built of 2x2 lumber which I stained and sealed. The whole project took me about a week to do and cost me a whopping $40 and most all of my free time for a week. He loves the room he has and I'm adding more vines (golden pothos) to give him a little more coverage and possibly another "tree". Building your own enclosure is definitely the way to go!

Thank you, it was a lot of fun to build then see him make it home. The screen I got from home depot In a roll that was four feet wide by eight feet long and it is the "plastic" kind not the aluminum. Worked perfect when pulled tight and stapled to the wood. Bruce climbs all over it!

Thank you, it was a lot of fun to build then see him make it home. The screen I got from home depot In a roll that was four feet wide by eight feet long and it is the "plastic" kind not the aluminum. Worked perfect when pulled tight and stapled to the wood. Bruce climbs all over it!
Is the screen on top aluminum? It looks like it from the picture, but just making sure. The plastic coated screen can melt under basking bulbs.

No the top is the plastic as well. My light setup is hanging from the ceiling and has a gap of about an inch (maybe less) between it and the top of the cage. Its has been functioning this way for a few days now. I constantly check it because I had the same thought. It hasn't had any negative effects and works perfect.

No the top is the plastic as well. My light setup is hanging from the ceiling and has a gap of about an inch (maybe less) between it and the top of the cage. Its has been functioning this way for a few days now. I constantly check it because I had the same thought. It hasn't had any negative effects and works perfect.

If it does start having issues, it should be easy to switch out. Just make sure not to get the fiberglass screen. Feeders can chew right through that!

I considered the aluminum to begin with but I had plenty of extra plastic. Trial and error my friend lol. The moment i see anything wrong with the current ceiling its going straight to aluminum. Fiberglass is a definite no no for numerous reasons and was never even considered for this project. The top pic is under the heat light with it off. 20160801_111402.jpg 20160801_111348.jpg

It looks high enough where you shouldn't have any issues as long as it is giving the desired results for basking temps and UVB.

So far so good. I watch his temps like a hawk right now with everything being new. He's a happy little camper.

No its a catch for his dripper as I don't have the stand made to cut the hole in the bottom for drainage yet. Work in progress

Back
Top Bottom