Bringing Out Color

Bio123

How do you bring out color in a veiled chameleon? What nutrition/supplement should you feed him to bring out his color? I want my cham to look amazing. How colorful should my 4 month cham look? Sorry for all these questions, but I can see my chameleon develop faint color here and there, and I want its colors to blind people:p

You can provide the best enviroment, the best misting system the best nutrition/supplementaton, the best feeders, etc., but if you don't have the genetics you won't have the "blinding" chameleon as you are looking for.

You won't see much color at 4 months, but that is a good time to start a regime.

In the dart frog hobby we use Paprika and Naturose to bring out oranges, yellows, and reds.

But you can get an all-in-one supplement made by Allen Repashy, the same guy who makes Crested Gecko Diet. It's called SuperPig and it has Astaxanthin and Zeaxanthin (the polyphenols that enhance coloration, first used in fish, then frogs, now other reptiles).

Starting immediately and dusting lightly at every feeding WILL help bring out colors. I did a test on my leucomelas frogs before jumping into it and I'm amazed at the difference in the deep, rich orange color compared to the 'captive bred' look of washed out and pale orange.

Also, I am of the opinion that light intensity reallly helps. UVB bulbs have mostly blue and violet wavelengths, but if you use a combination of bulbs to provide a bright spectrum of light then that will help bring out the greens much more.

A good combo would be a UV light, a UVB light (both linear), an incandescent or metal hallide heat light, and a 'grow light' used for plants. Just make sure you use low wattages so it doesn't get too hot, but a higher wattage on the heat light will provide more brightness and heat.

You won't see much color at 4 months, but that is a good time to start a regime.

In the dart frog hobby we use Paprika and Naturose to bring out oranges, yellows, and reds.

But you can get an all-in-one supplement made by Allen Repashy, the same guy who makes Crested Gecko Diet. It's called SuperPig and it has Astaxanthin and Zeaxanthin (the polyphenols that enhance coloration, first used in fish, then frogs, now other reptiles).

Starting immediately and dusting lightly at every feeding WILL help bring out colors. I did a test on my leucomelas frogs before jumping into it and I'm amazed at the difference in the deep, rich orange color compared to the 'captive bred' look of washed out and pale orange.

Also, I am of the opinion that light intensity reallly helps. UVB bulbs have mostly blue and violet wavelengths, but if you use a combination of bulbs to provide a bright spectrum of light then that will help bring out the greens much more.

A good combo would be a UV light, a UVB light (both linear), an incandescent or metal hallide heat light, and a 'grow light' used for plants. Just make sure you use low wattages so it doesn't get too hot, but a higher wattage on the heat light will provide more brightness and heat.

will this work for chameleons? lol the all-in-one supplement made by Allen Repashy i mean

By far one of the most comprehensive explanations! Interesting how you bring knowledge from fish-frogs-reptiles, it’s almost like an evolution chain if you think about it! Imma try that super pig ASAP! I also got some amazing advise from other users here about organic edible flowers (rose, dandelion, calendula, marigold…) for the same purpose! This forum is incredibly helpful!

Back
Top Bottom