Going away for 11 days in two months

im going out of state for 11days and I wanted to check in to make sure I’ll have every need for my Cham by the time I leave . my little sister will care for her while I’m away but I’m going to make sure I give her instructions on what to do And i will of course call her or ask her to send pics and update me on her colors or behavior. Possibly by then my cham should be 6-8 months So ik her diet won’t require multiple feeds a day. I mostly want help with finding the proper equipment and set up while I’m away. Thank you so much ☺️

I've just come back from being out of town for 9 days. This is what I had:
  • Spare UV-B tube
  • Spare heat lamp bulb
  • Pre-filled water jugs for misting system to cover entire time away
  • Deli cups pre packed with bugs and labeled by day of week to feed them
  • Care review sheets
A few days before we left, my dad came over to look at him and get a rundown of what was needed and to have a chance to ask any questions he had. The evening before I setup all the the things in the above list on a couple of tv trays near the enclosure so that they would be handy and he wouldn't need to worry about having to look for anything. For the care review it was real basic with the things my dad was most concerned about called out for him again. Anything more complicated than what fit on those he would have called about anyway. I've attached the sheets so you can see what I did.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 08.41.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 08.41.20.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 08.41.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 08.41.56.png
    440.9 KB · Views: 23
I should probably also note that Jeff is our bearded dragon and that's why his numbers are so different.
Thank you so much , and yes my sister has had a bearded dragon for a few years now so she knows stuff about reptiles but I will also inform her of my moonas behaviors . by then ik I have to get her a bigger enclosure or maybe when I get back Because ik the misting system and lights won’t work on the big one. I will of course chat about this again before I go in February but I’ve been anxious about it and wanted to know now. As far as feeding her I never used deli cups or any pre packed bugs unless I order bugs from a breeder, which I’ve not done yet but I know where I want to get them.

I just bought the cups and filled them from my feeder bins. You don't want to dust the bugs with supplements because they'll survive better without that.

I think there's a Chameleon Academy Podcast episode that covers travel as well. I'll look for a link for you later today.

• Spare UV-B tube
  • Spare heat lamp bulb
  • Care review sheets
A few days before we left, my dad came over to look at him and get a rundown of what was needed and to have a chance to ask any questions he had. The evening before I setup all the the things in the above list on a couple of tv trays near the enclosure so that they would be handy and he wouldn't need to worry about having to look for anything. For the care review it was real basic with the things my dad was most concerned about called out for him again. Anything more complicated than what fit on those he would have called about anyway. I've attached the sheets so you can see what I did.
  • Spare UV-B tube
  • Spare heat lamp bulb
  • Care review sheets
Wow that's awesome. I just tagged everything with sticky notes 😂

I found light timers are a must. Its like the first thing i had to change. The 2nd thing i had the change was sitters dont like to catch the food, so like others listed, you need to have all the food premeasured in easy to use cups with like some shredded carrot or something. I made the mistake early on on using an apple or potato slice. Oh the carnage of having a potato clanging around with the feeders when its shaking time, most didnt survive.

Oh the things we do for our babies.

I did a very similar thing for my chameleons as @iPwnedMSCS, the only things I would add to that list is:
- I also typed up a schedule, even if the lights were on timers I wanted my sitter to know when to expect everything to be on/off.
- The schedule also included warning signs that my chameleons are not doing well.
- I also installed cameras on all my chams...because I'm extra like that....and I updated all my sensors and plugs to the Wifi kind so I could have the ability to adjust anything while I was gone too.
- On top of my regular vet information, I also included my back up emergency vets for my exotics just in case

Attached you'll find examples of my care sheets too in case something on there is useful to you.

Attachments

• Animal Schedule - Google Docs.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Untitled document - Google Docs.pdf
    43.6 KB · Views: 32
Oh the things we do for our babies.

I did a very similar thing for my chameleons as @iPwnedMSCS, the only things I would add to that list is:
- I also typed up a schedule, even if the lights were on timers I wanted my sitter to know when to expect everything to be on/off.
- The schedule also included warning signs that my chameleons are not doing well.
- I also installed cameras on all my chams...because I'm extra like that....and I updated all my sensors and plugs to the Wifi kind so I could have the ability to adjust anything while I was gone too.
- On top of my regular vet information, I also included my back up emergency vets for my exotics just in case

Attached you'll find examples of my care sheets too in case something on there is useful to you.
Thank you so much for this , I will definitely be gathering all this so I’m prepared and so is she . I know she will be about 6 or 7 months so I have to get a bigger enclosure with new plants and the mist system.

Back
Top Bottom