Bradypodion prolapse

Klemins

I came home yesterday to find my young male B. transvaalense had prolapsed sometime during the day. I knew it was not his hemipenis so I took him to a vet who has been decent with chameleons in the past (best I could find around here), who was able to successfully re-insert everything back in. Unfortunately, due to his size, surgery was/is not really an option. Anyway, this morning I had noticed it had happened (partially) again, so scheduled another appointment. When I got home from work, everything was back in, but has now again partially come out. I have never dealt with a prolapse before and am just curious for any tips one might have to prevent it from re-occurring. The vet said he'll often put a stitch in to keep it in place, but since this guy is still pretty small he's not sure that's possible. I'm going to head back shortly, but just thought I'd look for any info here as well. Thanks for any input.

How did it go?

I can't really tell you how to stop it from happening but whenever it does, just keep it moist until it goes back in or is put back.

When prolapses occur the vet can put in a purse-string suture which should hold the "parts" in and let the poop out. It often works.

Did not actually go last night since it went back in. It was not as bad as the first day. The vet mentioned the single stitch but due to his size we are very hesitant to try it unless absolutely necessary. He still seems strong and managed to pass two small poops but we'll see today when I get home. Have another appointment for tonight regardless to see what the vet thinks since he has not shown interest in eating.

Back
Top Bottom