book list

Jewel

I know I read on here there was going to be a list of good books put up, I was just wondering if it is going to be anytime soon because I wanted to order some books to start my collection and I don't know where to start.

Dave Weldon always shows a nice list on his posts and in his profile.
I have or want all of the books he has.

-Brad

I just got this book off amazon called "chameleons- natures hidden jewels" by Petr Necas

It was a little pricey, but it's hardback and has tons of awesome pictures. I'm really happy with it, and it has lots of good info.

Sorry, I have been out of town all week. There will be a book section in the link directory very soon.

Howdy,

If you shop for "Chameleons - Nature's Hidden Jewels" 2nd Ed. By Petr Necas, be sure that it is the 2nd edition since it is the more up-to-date and expanded version published in 2004. There is a companion book called "Stump-tailed Chameleons" that is often sold paired with the other one at a discount. ~$60US and paired together for ~$95 if memory serves me. I got my pair at the yearly Anaheim CA reptile show just when it came out.

"Chameleons - Their Care and Breeding" By Linda J. Davison was published in 1997 but even still, it has a lot of good info (watch out for dosing errors in the meds section). It's about 100 pages in an 8.5" x 11" glossy color format. At a retail price of $20 it makes a good intro book. I actually buy quantities of them directly from the publisher and pass them on to the local reptile store so that they have something useful to sell to their chameleon customers while still allowing them to make a little profit (none for me!).

"The Panther Chameleon: Color Variation, Natural History, Conservation and Captive Management" By Gary W. Ferguson (2004) has about 50 of its pages dedicated to images and discussion about the color variations of panthers. The other half of the book covers topics like panther history, conservation, husbandry etc. I think it was ~$35US at the show.

"Reptile Medicine and Surgery" 2nd ed. By Mader (2006) is the update to the original one from 1996. Over 1000 pages of hard-core, vet-aimed info. I refer to it often to get details on medicines, treatments etc. I'd guess that there might be 100 pages that are directly related to chameleons and another 100 pages that are indirectly related and useful to the chameleon keeper. Lots of the book is about snakes and turtles. If you have an extra ~$120US, it makes a good reference book.

"Thoughts for Food" 3rd Ed. Edited by Ardi Abate is about 50 pages of 8.5" x 11" paperback that covers about a dozen kinds of feeders and how to raise them etc. It was less than ~$20 and worth it.

"Understanding Reptile Parasites" By Roger J. Klingenberg D.V.M. is about 80 pages of 5.5" x 8.5" glossy paperback formatted black and white photos and text covering diagnosis, identification and treatment of parasites. Very handy especially if you have a nice microscope. It is usually sold for around $10.

There are at least two different editions of this book, Chameleons- Natures Hidden Jewels. I thought I got a good deal on the book last year, only to realize later that I had bought the older edition. Still an excellent book though with many color photos of different species. The older edition has a copyright date of 1999 and a veiled chameleon on the cover. The newer edition I think has a copyright date of 2004 and has a different species on the cover.

oops, looks like Dave beat me to it :)

Last edited:
I think I will just cough up the money and buy Chameleons - Nature's Hidden Jewels" 2nd Ed. I just thought it was really expensive since I seen it on the american sites for around $30.00 but I guess that was the old edition. I am sure it is worth every penny of it so this sounds like a good must have book.

Shoot, it has a picture of a veiled on the front cover so I guess it's the old one, which I don't want and I just checked chapters and they don't have it, this is going to be harder than I thought.

Jewel you can get the necas book at the expo for around 90 or cheaper from Scotty Allen he is the vendor with all the t-shirts and books at the expo's. you can send him a email on Reptiles canada let him know you want it. it really is quite a good book.

Jewel you can get the necas book at the expo for around 90 or cheaper from Scotty Allen he is the vendor with all the t-shirts and books at the expo's. you can send him a email on Reptiles canada let him know you want it. it really is quite a good book.

Thanks Brandy, I never seen any books at the expo last month but then again it was so crowsed I probally missed half of the stuff.

I cant belive how helpfull this forum has been the past week...I think of a question and I dont have to ask. Just surf around and boom..I want Three of these books..medicine and surgery is a bit expensive but I think I must read it. I am def getting food for thought and the panther cham this week..:cool:

Back
Top Bottom