Blue tongued Indo Skink..

NewOwner

Hey (= Im wondering about these lil guys, wondering about breeders in canada and a whole lot of other stuff, i may want 1 in the future... :p

So my questions are...

Where is a breeder in canada?

Are they hard to keep, in your opinion?

Do they bite , are they friendly?

Thanks everyone, btw this is not in the classifieds because i am NOT buying one, just maybe in the future id like to know about where i could find one and what not :) I am not ready for one yet though :p

Thannks,

-Levi

Sorry for doubleposting, buy ive read about blue tongued skinks, and seems they have some claws, and when there babys you can keep in a 10 gallon aquarium, can i put adult in screened cage? or will they rip it?

Sorry I'm not of much help, I don't know much about them either. I came to read the posts. There are one type that are grouchy...or is it teugs?? lol :p

I have a Northern BTS and he's great! They are pretty easy to take care of, similar to bearded dragons in husbandry but they eat more animal protein. I would suggest not putting them in the screen cage because they do have claws. I don't think they would rip the cage but I think the claws could get stuck in the cage easily and hurt them.

If you get a young one and handle it often it will become tame very quickly. They do hiss and bite but only if they aren't handled.

This is a GREAT site for more info - http://bluetongueskinks.net/blue.htm

So, i might be adopting a Indonesion BTS soon. not sure if my mom will allow another animal yet, but i'll try!

This one i might be getting is approx 2 years old.. and apparently kind of hissy.

i would still like to get him cause ive heard they're easily tamed.

http://nirrs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=adoptable&action=display&thread=36

http://northislandreptileclub.homestead.com/contact.html

i would put him/her in a 33 gallon tank i have ready, which holds a gecko, that i will be moving.

he would have a few live plants, lots of dirt / coco husk to burrow in.

and a good basking spot. :D

Anyone have tips for if i do get him/her?
DEFINATLY a new name.

YCD9857983.1.jpg

I also have an Indo. Mine is pretty hissy when you first get her out of her cage, but she calms down quickly and has never tried to bite. The Indos have more of a reputation for being feisty than other types because they are almost always wild caught. But with plenty of handling, they make great pets.

I also have an Indo. Mine is pretty hissy when you first get her out of her cage, but she calms down quickly and has never tried to bite. The Indos have more of a reputation for being feisty than other types because they are almost always wild caught. But with plenty of handling, they make great pets.

Cool, Thanks alot.

Im wondering if there bites hurt? this one is rescued, someone just dropped it off and said we cant take care of it, were moving. and it is hissy, apparently never bit anyone..

do they have teeth? or do they have sharp teeth? :confused: LoL

I'm sure a bite would hurt. They do have teeth, although they are hard to see. The bites can hurt from what I hear, but I've never been bitten. I really wouldn't worry about being bitten. Don't be intimidated by their hisses. They will usually calm down after you hold them for a few minutes. BTW, I want to see more pictures if you adopt that little skinker. :p

I'm sure a bite would hurt. They do have teeth, although they are hard to see. The bites can hurt from what I hear, but I've never been bitten. I really wouldn't worry about being bitten. Don't be intimidated by their hisses. They will usually calm down after you hold them for a few minutes. BTW, I want to see more pictures if you adopt that little skinker. :p
This skink is becoming one of my favorite BTS's. I really love the black on white coloration.

When bit by any reptile, the important thing to remember is to not jerk your hand away. Well as long as you are not about to loose that hand. A few puncture wounds can become 20+ stitches like that.

This skink is becoming one of my favorite BTS's. I really love the black on white coloration.

When bit by any reptile, the important thing to remember is to not jerk your hand away. Well as long as you are not about to loose that hand. A few puncture wounds can become 20+ stitches like that.

oh thanks :)

i'm sure a bite would hurt. They do have teeth, although they are hard to see. The bites can hurt from what i hear, but i've never been bitten. I really wouldn't worry about being bitten. Don't be intimidated by their hisses. They will usually calm down after you hold them for a few minutes. btw, i want to see more pictures if you adopt that little skinker. :p

definately :)

I have a BTS that came in as a rescue. BTS are very nice and very easy to care for. Adults require a 55 gallon size tank at the minimum. They like to burrow and dig tunnels so you need deep substrate they can fully submerge themselves in. Some branches and flat rocks are appriciated. They need a water dish they can soak in, a heat lamp, a UV lamp(5.0) and fed every other day to every few days. I feed mine all natural dog food mixed with veggies and fruit. I add calcium once a week and vitamins once a month. They all have their favorite foods though and mine will only eat this mix and nothing else. I go by the 50/40/10 system: 50% vegetables and greens, 40% meat, mice, and insects, and 10% fruits. There is a great website about blue tongue skinks http://bluetongueskinks.net/ I would read through this whole website before you get your skink. Very, very good info on here.

Back
Top Bottom