Black flies

Mark_C

Established Member
I see there have been a few oosts in the past regarding this type situation, but thought I’d make a short theead instead of raising a zombie.

I sorta forgot about my black fly larvae and, in passing this morning, I saw they we now full fledged flies.

Opened the container in the enclosure and let 6-8 out (plus 2-3 into the house).
The cham went nuts hunting - running to close positions, shifting to leaf walking, and attacking.
Actually seemed a healthy exercize for him which I plan to repeat. Plus it was quite cool to see him actually ‘hunt’ as opposed to sticking his head in a bucket.

Yes! It's such a great form of enrichment. The flies that get out in the house tend to come back towards the UVB light and my chameleon tries to catch them but they're outside the cage. 🥺 I guess in the wild there are going to be times when they don't catch their prey but it makes me sad hahaha

I see there have been a few oosts in the past regarding this type situation, but thought I’d make a short theead instead of raising a zombie.

I sorta forgot about my black fly larvae and, in passing this morning, I saw they we now full fledged flies.

Opened the container in the enclosure and let 6-8 out (plus 2-3 into the house).
The cham went nuts hunting - running to close positions, shifting to leaf walking, and attacking.
Actually seemed a healthy exercize for him which I plan to repeat. Plus it was quite cool to see him actually ‘hunt’ as opposed to sticking his head in a bucket.
They are the best! I find that eventually the escapees land somewhere on the ceiling. Unlike flies, they won't zoom away (usually!) the minute you approach them, so you can get on a chair and catch them.

Back
Top Bottom