Curiosity pertaining to black soldier fly larvae

joemacchirella

Established Member
Hey so I just wanted to pick everyone’s brain a bit about some bugs you may or may not have had some experience with. Long story short when feeding black soldier fly larvae some occasionally get away and into the soil and hide which at first I thought hey no problem as they will just finish life up in larval stage and morph into the soldier fly which he loves picking off. The problem which made me freak out was I actively clean up his enclosure daily which is mostly his poops and old leaves. Well there have been a few times where I figured he just didn’t poop cause I didn’t find any to clean but a few days ago I had errands to run in morning so by the time I came home to check on my Cham I noticed he had pooped in the bottom soil of his enclosure and the black soldier fly larvae that were in his enclosure soil where all throughout the poop actively going to town on it eating it so I freaked out gloved up and tossed all the larvae I could get plus the poop into my backyard as I don’t want any type of possible parasite infection or anything coming from them eating poop then turning to fly which my dude snipes effortlessly and without remorse.my question I guess is have any of you had any similar experiences with the larvae or anything out of the ordinary I have been since experimenting with what they actually eat as I mostly feed mine bananas and other mushy foods. I like to plump mine up as much as possible. All this experimenting recently led me to toss 2 full grown hornworms In to the larvae containers cause I was curious. and to my surprise they absolutely destroyed them from the inside out was honestly kinda creepy but very interesting to see the absolutely voracious appetite of these bugs.sorry for the rant Just wanted to see if anyone else had any similar experiences I do understand majority of people don’t feed the larvae cause the ammonia smell but in my experience if you vent the containers daily and don’t let them get too moist you never have that problem.

Bsfl will eat anything soft enough, including poop. Many bugs that chameleons eat are probably feeding on feces, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless your chameleon already has parasites that you're trying to keep from reinfecting then it shouldn't matter much

Bsfl will eat anything soft enough, including poop. Many bugs that chameleons eat are probably feeding on feces, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless your chameleon already has parasites that you're trying to keep from reinfecting then it shouldn't matter much
No parasites was just trying to avoid them but thanks ?? cause I was like bruh I inadvertently gave him Poo wasps ??‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom