Black area on head

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
It amazes me that I've had this female veiled for about 3 weeks now and haven't thought to ask this question yet.... guess I've been so consumed with setting up the proper environment I forgot about it. :(

Any ideas what this black area is on her head? When I purchased her it was already there, and in all fairness to the store, the clerk pointed it out to me, said it was there when they got her, and it hadn't changed any in the 2 weeks they had her. He offered me the sibling that didn't have the black marks but for some reason I was drawn to this one and took her. If it were a burn, wouldn't it have gotten better or worse in the 3 weeks I've had her? Anything I should be doing about it rather than watching it?
Sue
black on head.jpg

Injury or burn... I am leaning towards injury based on how it is pulling her skin and how dark it is. Also if it were a burn you would see it more on the ridge of her casque due to the location. Looks like she is going to have an issue shedding that section as well. So keep an eye on it for infection and to make sure the shed comes free.

Injury or burn... I am leaning towards injury based on how it is pulling her skin and how dark it is. Also if it were a burn you would see it more on the ridge of her casque due to the location. Looks like she is going to have an issue shedding that section as well. So keep an eye on it for infection and to make sure the shed comes free.
Thanks, I didn't think it was a burn but now I have to wonder how the head got injured - guess I'll never know but it hasn't changed at all since I've had her.

Regarding the shed, I have ZooMed's "Shedding Aid" that I bought when I was originally shopping for my new pet. Have never opened it or used it..... should I?
Sue

Sometime if they don't like something about there enclosure. They will go to the bottom of cage and scratch or bump their head on glass or screen. Whether its to hot, or feeders loose in enclosure, or to much traffic in the room- stress, new to the enclosure, or just wants out. From the looks of it though. She may have just bumped it on a branch. Unless a cricket bit her. Yellow crickets don't normally bite but it can happen. Especially if there large in size and are free range fed. Don't get me wrong I used to free range feed mine. But only one at a time and well observed. You may want to scout the enclosure and check all corners, creases, edges for anything that could poke or scratch your girl.

Thanks, I didn't think it was a burn but now I have to wonder how the head got injured - guess I'll never know but it hasn't changed at all since I've had her.

Regarding the shed, I have ZooMed's "Shedding Aid" that I bought when I was originally shopping for my new pet. Have never opened it or used it..... should I?
Sue
Could have happened during shipment, babies will nip at each other which is why good breeders will separate them at a young age, even cut by a razor (it looks like a straight cut to the top) , but if it happened before the store got it then it could have been multiple things.

No shed aid as mentioned they are dry shedders so you will never use that on her.

Does she let you handle her and touch her? If so gently run your finger across it and see if it releases.

OK, no shed aid, another over-zealous wasted product. Always happens when shopping for a new pet - you just grab everything that you MIGHT need or want someday!

I'm still working on getting her to learn to trust me so am not in a hurry to touch her head yet, but at the store when me and the clerk were examining the spot he did rub it gently with his fingernail and it didn't come off. It hasn't changed any since I got her, either. I guess it just makes her unique and beautiful, like a beauty mark. :)
Sue

OK, no shed aid, another over-zealous wasted product. Always happens when shopping for a new pet - you just grab everything that you MIGHT need or want someday!

I'm still working on getting her to learn to trust me so am not in a hurry to touch her head yet, but at the store when me and the clerk were examining the spot he did rub it gently with his fingernail and it didn't come off. It hasn't changed any since I got her, either. I guess it just makes her unique and beautiful, like a beauty mark. :)
Sue
So what you want to watch here though is that she does not end up with layer upon layer building up there. So continue trust building. It will be important in being able to help her with this area if it continues to be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom