BioBubble Reptile Drinking Fountain

I have one. I bought it with the intentions of only using it on my free range, but my blue goober won't stay on his free range so that didn't work out. I did put it in his cage for one day (pain in the butt to do) to see if he would even mess with it, and he didn't even hesitate to drink from it. But I pulled it out after the one day, cleaned it, dried it out and it's been sitting in a cabinet every since. They are nice, but you reallllllly have to clean, clean, clean them. Not just the container part, but the leaves, the plastic "grate" and the "filter" in it, as well as the tubing that runs the water up to the top, it can get pretty yucky in there really quickly. Probably the reason why I haven't used it again since that day. Just kinda a pain for me because I'm so busy.

They work well, if you have a chameleon with hydration issues they can do wonders! But they can be dangerous! Bugs and chameleon poop can get in the water and the bacterial load can be lethal within a few hours! The working pump warms the water to a little above the ambient temperature! Bacteria thrives in that environment! Also, the pumps burn out very quickly!

Just my two cents.

Would putting mesh 6" above the fountain help with the poop or do they grt in the leafs and poop right in it?

I love the running water concept to attract Chams, but would seriously consider a modification to make the pump and reservoir an outside the cage design to facilitate changes and cleaning. I would still need to get the leaves and such hand cleaned, but I hate dealing with filters and pumps. (It's like having fish for pets :eek:) Maybe on a timer. The noise of it on could trigger a learned reaction to tell him it's drinking time..

Using only distilled water may also help.

If I decide to get a new Cham, I'm not counting on having him trained to drink out of a rodent water bottle.

Would putting mesh 6" above the fountain help with the poop or do they grt in the leafs and poop right in it?

Possibly, but I would be concerned that it would interfere and get n the way of the Cham. IF I go this route, I'm considering placing it up high. My last two Cham's didn't really make a huge mess higher up. They did their business typically midway down or below in their terrarium.

I have one, my veiled drinks from it whenever he needs.
At first I didn't think he was using it, but after about a week or 2 i caught him at it.
you have to take it apart to clean it. I clean mine about ever 2-3 days.
check it every day for dead and live crickets, the crickets seem to hide in it; dead crickets could pollute the water.
Definitely worth the 20 bucks.
I put mine on the bottom of the cage next to the trunk of the branch so he can climb right onto it.

I love the running water concept to attract Chams, but would seriously consider a modification to make the pump and reservoir an outside the cage design to facilitate changes and cleaning. I would still need to get the leaves and such hand cleaned, but I hate dealing with filters and pumps. (It's like having fish for pets :eek:) Maybe on a timer. The noise of it on could trigger a learned reaction to tell him it's drinking time..

Using only distilled water may also help.

If I decide to get a new Cham, I'm not counting on having him trained to drink out of a rodent water bottle.

The pump is pretty week, it is only big enough for a small amount of head.
if the water feature is short, it would most likely work. an aquarium submersible powerhead would be better.

After you clean it 2-3 times a week, you won't use it. Too dangerous for infections, even if you do protect it from contamination. Save your money and time.

CHEERS!

Nick

Back
Top Bottom