Best way to offer greens/fruit?

wendysjungle

I'm a new Cham mommy (see the story of how Joyce "found me" in the General Discussion section, post name "Found a chameleon, need advice") and am wondering what is the best way to offer her vegetables and fruit? Going by her size, people here have estimated that she is likely somewhere between 4 and 6 months old (about 3 to 3-1/2 inches snout to vent). She spends 99% of her time in the high branches, though has explored the big plant on the bottom of her cage once or twice. Do I attach a dish to the high branches with the fruits and veggies, or clip them individually to branches? I'm afraid if I put a dish on the floor she will never go down there to find it.

Also, how finely do I chop up the food?

Thanks!

I read your other post. That was so awesome!!! Some veileds will eat them others won't. I've tried several different ways of attaching it and the only thing i found that they FINALLY excepted was to just stick in on the branch as it and let them find it. It might take awhile so be prepared to remove it daily and replace the next day but usually they do nibble on it. 1 of mine won't eat vegies but boy you should see the number he does on his plant. Don't use anything to attach it with either , tried that and it scared them. I went to post that night and i couldn't get on they said i had the wrong password, anyway the reason i mentioned that is i wanted to tell you to make sure you cham proof you plant. If any pesticides or miracle gro has been used it could be very harmful to your new girl. I take mine out of the container and remove all the soil, rinse the roots off really, really well and then repot in a clean container with organic soil. If fertilzer has been used they say to wait 3 months to use the plant. Alot of people on her say just to use rocks to cover the dirt but that won't help when you have a cham that will eats the leaves. Some people say that it isn't necessary but i would rather be safe than sorry and it really isn't that much trouble. Also if i were you i would call a vet and set up an appt. Who knows how long she has been out there and she might have picked up some nasty little parasites while she was roaming around.

Debby

Thanks! I think I may have to switch out the plant I have, as one of the members says she saw it listed as toxic. I saw it listed as non-toxic on other sites, but why take the chance if there is any doubt? I'll put my new plant through the process you mention to make sure it's safe!

I buy chopped up kale and put some in a Japanese wasabi dish. It's just the right size. I have put the dish on the floor underneath a low hanging branch or set it up in the branches. Either way they seem to find it and munch on the leaves.

I have one that loves strawberries. Today for the first time she ate a piece off my finger. WOO WOO Made us both happy.

Back
Top Bottom