Best type of tree?

Damicofam6

Established Member
I need a new tree to put in Skittles cage soon and I'm not sure what type to get. I have a 4ft tall cage and i want something that will be around 3 ft probably. I also have a mistking so anything that can handle water well would be great too so it wont get waterlogged. What type of tree do you find works best? thanks for the help

I would recommend going with a schefflera arboricola. They are so easy to shape as you want them, they're not fussy and can handle more water than most(bearing proper drainage).

In all reality, as long as you pay attention to what the plant is telling you it needs, you can make just about anything work. Lighting is the biggest issue when it comes to variety.

I would recommend going with a schefflera arboricola. They are so easy to shape as you want them, they're not fussy and can handle more water than most(bearing proper drainage).

In all reality, as long as you pay attention to what the plant is telling you it needs, you can make just about anything work. Lighting is the biggest issue when it comes to variety.
Thanks. I have a small one in my other chams cage but I've never seen them get too big. I'll keep my eye out though.

There's another Ficus species you can often find at plant shops or nursery departments of big box stores. They are often trained to grow a braided trunk. Ficus alli. (lance leaved Ficus). It has long slender leaves almost like a eucalyptus. They are less temperamental and delicate than the more common Ficus benjamina and can handle the cham climbing around all over it. They still have the waxy sap and may drop leaves when they are first moved into a new lighting situation, but the ones I've had were tougher than F. benjamina.

I've used money tree, ficus, and a few others but always had trouble getting enough light down through the hanging plants and the trees would die. I just hung a bunch of thick fake vines around the cage at different heights and did away with the trees. If you have a female you can still have a laying bin but don't need the bottom plants. My boy has never tried to go all the way to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom