Beetles in supers bin?

Yessabub

Established Member
I've started seeing these little black beetles in my baby superworms bin. There not superworm beetles there tiny, I've been picking em out when I see them. Anyways I was just wondering what they are and if there bad or not?

I have gotten various pests in different bins. I have seen small beetles as well. They probablly aren't harmful, but I'd just throw them or sift them out. They could be weevils attracted to the oats or grain you use as a substrate. Mealmoths are a really bad invader and can throw a whole mealworm or superworm colony into chaos. The beetles aren't as problematic or difficult to get rid of. Some people sometimes have their colonies with open tops, but it is wise to use a screened lid of some type.

They are probably Lesser Mealworm beetles. They are scavengers and double as a really good clean-up crew. Get rid of some adult beetles if you are getting too many of them. Otherwise, you should be fine.

I got tones of them in my 5 gallon bucket for mealworms( also in my roach tub) the larvae serve as great feeders for hatchlings. I used them for my baby beardies. The beetles are hard but small enough for them to digest. Easiest way to collect most of them is use a old light bulb and take the metal piece off then burry it until the opening is level with the substrate. Make sure it dosent fill up with substrate either, but alittel is ok. If it's not deep enough try burrying it at an angle. These guys usually like to hangout on the surface or just below so normally just get them in the bulb.

Back
Top Bottom