Beardies

The Quintessential Stinkeye... (?)

1648962438055.png

But did he eat the salad??
I found that is the great thing about those super sticky hornworm feet. ;)
I have come to a surprising find about his salad acceptance. All of his life with me I’ve been making these pretty little salads with variety of greens, slivers of squash and other veggies he likes, bright berries or other fruit and his acceptance has been very poor. One morning after work I was exhausted and just gave him a bowl of mustard greens…he devoured all of it! Next day I was curious and did the same with the same result. Testing it further…pretty salads are ignored and the plain bowl of a single type of greens is eaten. 🤷‍♀️ Strange, but whatever he wants I guess.

The shed has finally started and poor guy Spike is absolutely hating life. Bath to help loosen the shed and ease the itchies - hated. Usual chin strokes given - hated. Sat outside in the hot sun - hated. Added little tomato and watermelon to his salad - hated. Just wants his plain greens and blueberries, bugs and to be left alone to glare angrily at the world.
E0AB96E9-7399-460E-9B2D-A5F225CAA352.jpeg FE3CD7A2-35DF-4477-8FBA-207C576E776D.jpeg

The shed has finally started and poor guy Spike is absolutely hating life. Bath to help loosen the shed and ease the itchies - hated. Usual chin strokes given - hated. Sat outside in the hot sun - hated. Added little tomato and watermelon to his salad - hated. Just wants his plain greens and blueberries, bugs and to be left alone to glare angrily at the world.
View attachment 326467View attachment 326468
Poor guy!

View attachment 326467View attachment 326468
Poor man…. this too shall pass……
Pic 2=stinkeye

I need some help my mom was on Facebook marketplace and saw a bearded dragon with a set up and showed me and now we are going to pick it up later I need some know how to care for one if you could help.

I need some help my mom was on Facebook marketplace and saw a bearded dragon with a set up and showed me and now we are going to pick it up later I need some know how to care for one if you could help.
Ooh! Congrats! I do hope you’ll be posting pics. I’m not 100% certain I do things correctly, but I’ve had Spike since he was a wee bebe 2 1/2 years ago and he’s been doing great…fat and lazy, but great.
For uvb I use an Arcadia 14%. I was using a 12%, but his enclosure is 2’ tall and it was a challenge to get him at a high enough level for his higher uv index need of a max of 6.0. I had to hang the uvb inside his enclosure and I hated doing that. Even though his enclosure is 4’ long, I use only a 24” uvb. He has his hot basking and uvb side and his cool darker side that his hide is on. For basking I have to use a pretty high wattage bulb (100-150w) to maintain his basking temp around 95+. I have a dimming light fixture set on a Herpstat. For supplements, I give him calcium without D3 daily lightly sprinkled on his salads. He’s an adult, so a salad daily. He gets bugs 2 days a week and I lightly dust those with Repashy Calcium Plus. He’s supposed to have approx 80% of his diet be greens/salad and only 20% insects and I do try to achieve this. One day he gets a good number of buggies and the other day he gets usually a couple of superworm treats. I’m in Florida so just about every day there’s good sunshine and I try to sit outside with Spike for about 10+ minutes a few times a week. I hold him for this. He hates baths, so I limit them to an as needed basis only...help with shedding or having smeared his poo. The one thing that is absolutely essential for all beardies is a hammock. Man! Spike just about lives on his! He has 2 of them…one hot/basking and the other a bit cooler. I just took a couple of pics of his current set up. It’s a bit bare to give him as much stomping space as possible. Since he’s in my bedroom, I’ve hung a little curtain to give him darkness at night and pull it back during the day. Heavy duty command hooks are better than suction cups to hang things. The window has tinting on it so it doesn’t heat him up at all and he loves his view. He’s starting to prefer his cooler spots and after eating ravenously all summer and getting a massive belly, his eating is slowing down a bit. So, I’m guessing he’s getting ready to brumate again. 😢 Not all beardies brumate, but Spike does and last year he went the full 4 months. There are some great YouTubers with beardie care guides. Wicken’s wicked reptiles and Elle’s Reptiles are a couple that I would trust.
2379032B-240D-421B-B6B9-ABCAC1C48DE3.jpeg
FA41215A-6101-4C43-8EE8-54D6EB61BBC5.jpeg

Forgot to fyi you…beardies are semi arboreal and quite skilled at climbing. Spike is a ‘jumper’ and it’s amazing that he’ll just jump right up to his hammock with no problem.

Thanks he/she is a baby it is coming with a 20g tank some decorations and hides a heat lamp and uvb I think it is a t5 I don’t know the percent though since he/she is a baby do they need bugs every day and salads every day that’s what I’m confused about

Thanks he/she is a baby it is coming with a 20g tank some decorations and hides a heat lamp and uvb I think it is a t5 I don’t know the percent though since he/she is a baby do they need bugs every day and salads every day that’s what I’m confused about
Yes, babies need bugs daily along with salads. The ratio is switched…80% bugs to 20% salad. They are little eating machines and grow as fast as you can blink! Spike was almost eating my entire roach nymph supply! Now he won’t touch a roach…go figure. 🤷‍♀️ The 20 gal tank is ok for a baby, but he’ll need much bigger as an adult...2x4x2’ minimum. I splurged on a Zen https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&sort_by=manual but there are lots of other options. This is a nice one. https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/bearded-dragon-enclosures
I tried Spike with bioactive and he immediately made it clear that he hated it. I tried giving him more than just one plant and he was flipping them over and trampling them, so he gets only one small pothos. Some beardies eat their plants. Water bowls are a bit controversial. For a long time I provided Spike with one and he completely ignored it, so I took it out. His urates are pure white and with a lot of liquid. He’s obviously getting all his fluid needs met by his diet. When he was a baby, I did spray down his plants and glass at least once a day in case he wanted to drink that way. Never saw him take advantage of that, but I kept doing it until he was an adult.

Back
Top Bottom