Beardies

Dear diary,
It’s now been 60 days that I’ve been brumating. Only for a brief week did I honor my hooman with my presence and gift her with a gigantic stinky poo before retreating back into my cave of slumber. That was a great poo...probably my best yet. Yup, good times. What shall I do today? Maybe I’ll reposition myself. Although I did that yesterday...or was it a few days ago? Meh…too much work anyway. ~yawn~ Maybe I’ll ~yawn~ just sleep. ~yawn~ zzzzzzzz

I've been lucky(?) this year (no big nap so far 🤞) but today the power went out, sending the house temp crashing to 64F*. I wasn't worried about anyone (chameleon, tortoise, beardie, us, dog) dying or anything, but prompting Ol' Stinkeye to brumate did cross my mind.

Just have to see what happens.

Before the outage, Missus discovered putting a low temp (90-ish F) heating pad by her 'She Lair' window allows Stinkeye to chill with her much longer without getting antsy. She's got his towel...
1639304031367.png
... on top of the heating pad. ;)

*Crashing to 64 ‽ :eek: 40 years ago, that would have been normal for this time of year!

Just have to see what happens.
Whew! No effect; he chowed down his Sunday Bowl-O-Bugz as usual, including hunting & scarfing down his own escapees. (y)

It occurred to us... who's faster (at chowing down)—Ol' Furface or Ol' Stinkeye? :unsure:
We used to have a sign over Furface's supper bowl...

I Can Eat My Entire Supper
in Less than 45 Seconds.
Can You?

He's slowed down a bit since then... An unofficial timing might be fun (which means we've been cooped up by COVID for entirely too long! 😨)

Stinkeye got a bad case of hiccups in his bath yesterday; thought we were going to die laughing.
I wasn't sure at first, but he kept doing it, and most were full-body hiccups, so it was quite animated. I've seen one-offs before, but this went on through the whole 20 minute soak until he did his thing and I rinsed him off under the faucet. After that he was fine.

Spent the whole afternoon with the Missus, wrapped in his burrito, on top of his heating pad, looking out his window....

Stinkeye got a bad case of hiccups in his bath yesterday; thought we were going to die laughing.
I wasn't sure at first, but he kept doing it, and most were full-body hiccups, so it was quite animated. I've seen one-offs before, but this went on through the whole 20 minute soak until he did his thing and I rinsed him off under the faucet. After that he was fine.

Spent the whole afternoon with the Missus, wrapped in his burrito, on top of his heating pad, looking out his window....
That sounds adorable and hilarious! I need video! I’m suffering severe beardie withdrawal. Spike is still brumating! It’s been 3 whole long lonely months! 😭 I live for the days he turns around so I can at least see his face. I’m told he could stay brumating until the end of February! 😲😭😭😭

That sounds adorable and hilarious! I need video!
You & me both. I can take vids (sort of) with my DSLR, but it's such a pain to change the settings that I usually miss the shot.

I’m suffering severe beardie withdrawal. Spike is still brumating! It’s been 3 whole long lonely months! 😭 I live for the days he turns around so I can at least see his face. I’m told he could stay brumating until the end of February! 😲😭😭😭
I hear you. IIRC, it was something like 4 months with Stinkeye last year.
For the past month or so, he's been sleeping (mostly) like this:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/beardies.174985/page-40#post-1707672

I wondered if this was his new brumation protocol, but he sits there for hours with his eye(s) open—following us as we move around the house—and will sometimes sleep on or under his log.
Other than that, he seems normally active—especially in the mornings after lights-on—when he runs all over the place making a ruckus, bumping (slamming?) into the glass, and bobbing his head.
Eat, sleep, poop.

You & me both. I can take vids (sort of) with my DSLR, but it's such a pain to change the settings that I usually miss the shot.

I hear you. IIRC, it was something like 4 months with Stinkeye last year.
For the past month or so, he's been sleeping (mostly) like this:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/beardies.174985/page-40#post-1707672

I wondered if this was his new brumation protocol, but he sits there for hours with his eye(s) open—following us as we move around the house—and will sometimes sleep on or under his log.
Other than that, he seems normally active—especially in the mornings after lights-on—when he runs all over the place making a ruckus, bumping (slamming?) into the glass, and bobbing his head.
Eat, sleep, poop.
It’s kind of odd, but Spike has never once head bobbed. Nor has he ever waved. I guess he knows he’s the boss.

That sounds adorable and hilarious! I need video! I’m suffering severe beardie withdrawal. Spike is still brumating! It’s been 3 whole long lonely months! 😭 I live for the days he turns around so I can at least see his face. I’m told he could stay brumating until the end of February! 😲😭😭😭
Opal is still brumating also. It's been so long. I miss her sunshiney self basking up the warmth.

Wah! Wah! This is today’s view. At least I get to see face today. He was deep in his hide and I couldn’t see any part of him for days. So jealous of you guys with your awake beardies.
E9B2F266-F22A-400D-8781-6F2686C1894B.jpeg

Look at that belly! 🙃 That must be an interesting wall.
I know. He's been down to bugs only once a week for a month now. :(

Wah! Wah! This is today’s view. At least I get to see face today. He was deep in his hide and I couldn’t see any part of him for days. So jealous of you guys with your awake beardies.
Look how comfy that looks! Who'd WANT to leave? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom