Beardies

I think he spent too much time amongst the chameleons as he loves to climb and be up high. When I let him run around freely, he’s always looking for ways to get higher.
That's normal. Beardies are semi-arboreal, and have the same comfort issues about being up high.
It also allows them to find/see females and interlopers better, not to mention the best basking sites. ;)

I think you're just teasing me.
Yup. I've thought about a hammock, but
  1. I don't want to have to clean 💩 off of one—especially the rope type
  2. I can't figure out why they're OK for beardies, but not for chameleons. Both need their claws, and as far as I can see, run the same risks of ripping one out.
Stinkeye seems to like climbing his bricks (or I would think he'd always take the easier route), and I know he likes his cork round log. I had to take it out the other day, and he kept looking for it. When I put it back in, he shot up it and stayed there most of the day.

I'm working up to a major remodel though—probably early next year. Enrichment and all that.
Plus, that Reptisun can't last much longer—it's 2 yrs old and still putting out the UVI.

We ran an experiment in plants. Alfalfa is supposed to be 'great' for beardies, so Missus searched and searched, and found a source for less than 100 lb. of seeds at a time. We planted them, and they came up (slooowly), and Stinkeye wants nothing to do with them. 😠 The little 💩.

Last edited:
We ran an experiment in plants. Alfalfa is supposed to be 'great' for beardies, so Missus searched and searched, and found a source for less than 100 lb. of seeds at a time. We planted them, and they came up (slooowly), and Stinkeye wants nothing to do with them. 😠 The little 💩.
Oh no! They always do the opposite of what we want.

Here is Opal today. Looking like a worm in a log.
20211202_100940.jpg
20211202_100951.jpg

No, that's cats. :LOL:

It took Stinkeye over a year to eat greens, and now he likes some he previously turned his nose up at.
I can be patient and see if he changes his mind.

Same with Ol' GrumpyPants and dubias. It took a few months, but he eats them regularly now.
Do you sprinkle any bee pollen on his salads? Spike accepts his salads more readily since I started doing that.
I guess like us, they want different tastes at different times.

Yes, I bought some after hearing you rave about it. Still get that urate halo. I can very thoroughly clean up within a literal minute of him going and still get that halo. I scrub the mat at least once a week to remove it.
What's the mat made of? I get halos on Stinkeye's tile floor, but it cleans right up.

It’s kind of like a really thick shelf liner.
Huh. (stumped) Shelf liner is generally vinyl, which is generally non-porous. IDK why the NM wouldn't work, but I believe you.

Lemee think about this a minute... Have you tried the mild acids—3% peroxide or 50% white vinegar?

Any raving I've done is more related to killing beardie stank, even on bricks which are porous as anything.

EDIT: Another thought just occurred... Have you tried asking Zen what to use?

Last edited:
Huh. (stumped) Shelf liner is generally vinyl, which is generally non-porous. IDK why the NM wouldn't work, but I believe you.

Lemee think about this a minute... Have you tried the mild acids—3% peroxide or 50% white vinegar?

Any raving I've done is more related to killing beardie stank, even on bricks which are porous as anything.

EDIT: Another thought just occurred... Have you tried asking Zen what to use?
Guess it’s made of pvc.

Not the same, but close enough. He does say at the end of the vid to contact them with any questions.
Meh…it’s not a big deal to me. Maybe it’s something in Spike’s poos/urates. I’d much rather bug Zen to offer clear sides or a back as an option or accessory, which I’ve actually already suggested to them. It’s hard to give Spike an interesting view out a window when only the front is clear.

Meh…it’s not a big deal to me. Maybe it’s something in Spike’s poos/urates. I’d much rather bug Zen to offer clear sides or a back as an option or accessory, which I’ve actually already suggested to them. It’s hard to give Spike an interesting view out a window when only the front is clear.
You may be able to do that yourself. When I built Ol' Stinkeye's enclosure, I was kind of flabbergasted at the price of plexi, so I made some calls and found a glass contractor who provided the doors in 1/4" plate glass for less than half of what they would have cost for plexi (not including having the plexi cut to size—having a big-box cut stuff is always hit or miss in this area). Even though it's less expensive, vendors don't like to use glass because of breakage.

Anyhow, to replace with either is the same operation. Same as if Zen offered it after-market. You can get tempered glass for a bit more than regular plate, but IDK if it's worth the extra—up to the individual.

You may be able to do that yourself. When I built Ol' Stinkeye's enclosure, I was kind of flabbergasted at the price of plexi, so I made some calls and found a glass contractor who provided the doors in 1/4" plate glass for less than half of what they would have cost for plexi (not including having the plexi cut to size—having a big-box cut stuff is always hit or miss in this area). Even though it's less expensive, vendors don't like to use glass because of breakage.

Anyhow, to replace with either is the same operation. Same as if Zen offered it after-market. You can get tempered glass for a bit more than regular plate, but IDK if it's worth the extra—up to the individual.
I’ve been wondering if glass would work and be less expensive than plexiglass. Something to look into. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom