Beardies

Ol' Stinkeye hanging by his claws/nails, and showing off his ponderous bug-belly. Before I put him on a diet a couple weeks ago, it was even more ponderous.

1636899794866.png

Surprisingly (to me) he stayed there long enough for me to find the camera and snag a few shots.
Right afterward, he continued to the top of his mountain and bobbed his head so hard he smacked his chin/jaw on the stone.

Silly dragon. 🤪

It’s strange but Spike has never head bobbed. He’s never arm waved either.
He’s stayed awake the past few days, but hasn’t moved off his hammock once.

I had to hand feed HRH Spike his salad today. It’s cute that he either turns his head or closes his eyes when he doesn’t like the piece I’m offering him or had enough. After that, I made him move off his hammock to get a few bugs. Little stinker went right back into his hide after. Hope he doesn’t think he’s going back to sleep without pooping first.

This guy is so weird. Today (around noon) he did this.

1637292021080.jpeg

He spent all afternoon like this, though he would follow us around with his stinkeye as he always does. He's still there now—sleeping in that same position, and if past experience is any indicator, he'll be there all night. Once he goes down for the night, that's it until morning.

It's Alive!​

1637334300375.jpeg

22 Hours. I even opened the door to pet him a little early this morning—no reaction (except the stinkeye, of course). He's still following us around with that eye—even cocks his head a bit as we move across his field of view...

All I’m getting is the stink eye. Spike went back in his hide for a few more days, but is out again. I need him to poop! Warm baths with belly massages, fat juicy silkworms, a hornworm and fruit are so far not having any effect. Tomorrow I’m going to get some canned pumpkin and let him run around more and hopefully that works. Otherwise it’ll be the vet on Monday. :rolleyes:

Neither of my boys have ever really tried to brumate, aside from once or twice. Should I be concerned about this? Other than that they are completely happy and healthy.

Neither of my boys have ever really tried to brumate, aside from once or twice. Should I be concerned about this? Other than that they are completely happy and healthy.
I guess some do it and some don’t. Not really sure what the determining factors are, if there are any. As far as I know, there shouldn’t be any problems with not brumating.

All I’m getting is the stink eye. Spike went back in his hide for a few more days, but is out again. I need him to poop! Warm baths with belly massages, fat juicy silkworms, a hornworm and fruit are so far not having any effect. Tomorrow I’m going to get some canned pumpkin and let him run around more and hopefully that works. Otherwise it’ll be the vet on Monday. :rolleyes:
What temp are you running the baths at?

IME, sources will differ on this, but there are no studies I'm aware of that prove anything one way or the other. Empirically, many longterm keepers have been able to avoid brumation altogether with no ill effects or difference in lifespan.

Should you be concerned? I'm not, but like I said, there are differing opinions. For your own peace of mind, I think it would be best to read up and decide for yourself.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=bearded+dragon+to+brumate+or+not+to+brumate?

I'm actually glad Stinkeye isn't brumating (yet 🤞) this year.

I've never changed his enclosure temperatures, but I did change his lighting. Last year I tried to match his lights to sunlight—longer during summer months and shorter during winter, and I think that's what may have triggered him. This year he's been on a constant 12/12 (no adjustment for DST).

Around 88-90.
Up to you, but I run them a little warmer (max. 100). This is safe.
Lukewarm water between 85 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal. Anything hotter than that and you run the risk of scalding your dragon.
https://www.reptiledirect.com/bearded-dragon-bath/
When bathing a bearded dragon, aim to heat the water up to be lukewarm. Ideally, water that is around 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit is good.
https://reptile.guide/bearded-drago...Should-the-Water-Be-to-Bathe-a-Bearded-Dragon
To bathe a bearded dragon, fill a small bin with warm water (99-101 F) no higher than their knees. Let them soak for 10-20 minutes, but don’t leave them unattended. Gently brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush and then pat dry with a clean towel and place them in their basking spot when done.
https://beardiebungalow.com/bearded-dragon-bathing/
More on beardeddragon.org

I've had no problems with this in the 2 years I've had him, but if you're uneasy in any way, you can start him lower, and add warmer water to bring the temp up.

I use a temp gun for this because temp guns are calibrated (and can be tested) by boiling point of water (just for calibrating/testing, of course).

Up to you, but I run them a little warmer (max. 100). This is safe.

More on beardeddragon.org

I've had no problems with this in the 2 years I've had him, but if you're uneasy in any way, you can start him lower, and add warmer water to bring the temp up.

I use a temp gun for this because temp guns are calibrated (and can be tested) by boiling point of water (just for calibrating/testing, of course).
Thanks! I’ll try warmer water. Gave him more juicy hornworms this morning and if those don’t do the trick by the time I wake up later (work nights) he’ll get ‘the bath’. He hates baths. Ugh! Forgot to stop and get the pumpkin this morning. Too many work-related distractions.

I’m not sure if it’s still recommended since I’ve never had it be such a problem again (Mars is 5 now) but when Mars was around 1 years old I absolutely couldn’t get him to poop. Some prune (pure prune/plum, nothing else) baby food did the trick for him.

Back
Top Bottom