Beardies

Sooo whatd you use to to bioactive? I like the idea of it for the dragons
I skipped the drainage layer since the enclosure is so dry, and it seems like it's doing well like that. I used organic soil with spring tails and isopods, and some leaf litter.
And around the plants I dug a little trench for watering purposes.

I have to admit, I get a little chuckle out of people trying to make bioactive enclosures for large omnivorous animals, then get slightly shocked that they come home to a moonscape.

And before anyone takes this the wrong way, I had a common snapping turtle,(Chelydra serpentina) and he loved his veggies, so no matter how amazing I scaped his enclosure, a few hours later everything was all gone.

And before people think about fake plants, I couldn't keep anything "green" with him, or any of my other turtles, they thought it was food and tried to eat it.

I'd guess you should just try making an epic wood scape.

Just my perspective as an outsider.
No, pretty spot on.
I had a feeling she would destroy my hard work. But she liked doing it...it appeared.

20201103_064648.jpg

I was very disappointed that she ate her entire hibiscus. She has also eaten most of her pothos.
It looked very beautiful when I first did it, but has since become very unappealing. Lol.
I'd like to find a plant she won't ravage so her enclosure can have some nice aesthetics.

Paraphrasing Harley Quinn's line from Suicide Squad...

"We're Beardies—it's what we do."

I came at it from the other direction; I assumed Stinkeye would destroy everything put into his enclosure, and in that regard he didn't disappoint! :p

So my best suggestion is to keep extras of everything on hand in the wings, and adopt the philosophy of the T-shirt posted by MissSkittles (whichI later bought... :rolleyes: ).

Anybody use commercial food?
I’ve had success with Beardie Buffet, they love it!! The flukers not so much but they still eat it... OFC I also feed insects and greens.

Meet the Homeboys:

Bigger one is Budty. I didn’t wanna waste the hopper so he grubbed on it.

The Red Hypo is HotPocket.
He’s a daredevil, calls out the bigger dragon to a duel sometimes. Jumps from anywhere.

The baby is little foot.
He’s 2 months old got him super little...
He just looks at you like “ugh, who are you, leave me alone..
(I ordered the daylight light color so he won’t be using that red bulb for long)

All my dragons were, and are being raised on Dubias, Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms, Waxworms, Hornworms gutloaded and strictly fed on Bug Burger.
Every insect feeding dusted with Repashy Calcium Plus + a lil sprinkle of spirulina.

All the greens and veggies are dusted with Repashy Superveggie.

I like to put Flukers Crafted Cuisine pellets, as well as Beardie Buffet on top of their veggies. Sometimes I’ll add Komodo Jello on top.

T5 HO 10.0 on all 3
Tile bottom on older ones.
Paper napkins on baby cuz he poops a lot.

Attachments

• 0BA6C240-012A-40EF-892F-C9309E4EF29E.jpeg
    0BA6C240-012A-40EF-892F-C9309E4EF29E.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 13F905F7-8C95-4166-AEA0-48C0F2526666.jpeg
    13F905F7-8C95-4166-AEA0-48C0F2526666.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 95
  • CAE40328-433B-4BBB-91F7-F09A382B90FA.jpeg
    CAE40328-433B-4BBB-91F7-F09A382B90FA.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 28575312-E328-471D-945A-B512583E5C40.jpeg
    28575312-E328-471D-945A-B512583E5C40.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 85
  • F6AD3957-7DAA-4FF5-9788-FF61CAB20332.jpeg
    F6AD3957-7DAA-4FF5-9788-FF61CAB20332.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 0D603E28-30D9-43EC-AA08-A6ABB54C6D1A.jpeg
    0D603E28-30D9-43EC-AA08-A6ABB54C6D1A.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 98
I’ve had success with Beardie Buffet, they love it!! The flukers not so much but they still eat it... OFC I also feed insects and greens.

Meet the Homeboys:

He’s a daredevil, calls out the bigger dragon to a duel sometimes. Jumps from anywhere.

The baby is little foot.
(I ordered the daylight light color so he won’t be using that red bulb for long)

All my dragons were, and are being raised on Dubias, Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms, Waxworms, Hornworms gutloaded and strictly fed on Bug Burger.
Every insect feeding dusted with Repashy Calcium Plus + a lil sprinkle of spirulina.

I like to put Flukers Crafted Cuisine pellets, as well as Beardie Buffet on top of their veggies. Sometimes I’ll add Komodo Jello on top.

T5 HO 10.0 on all 3
What exactly is he eating in the 2nd picture?

I have tried beardie buffet with Astrid to try and put some weight on her but she is such a picky eater she turned her nose up at it.

Meet the Homeboys:

The baby is little foot.

T5 HO 10.0 on all 3
And so besides these cool dudes what other reptiles do you have?

it's not something I like doing, I'm even rehoming my Sand Boa cuz she only wants live, but like I said, I don't want the poor Mouse death to be in vain.

Well... I was hopeful, but he's back to it...
View attachment 280570
It cracks us up that he usually sleeps with both arms tucked back like this.
He must have sensed me with the camera again. This is the look that got him his name.
Well... he crawled out of his "hole" again today; it's been a little over 2 weeks since he last graced us with an appearance. He's been at it since 9/18. I don't mind that he has to brumate, or that he it (though we both kinda miss him) but geez.... His roaches keep growing!

I wish there was some way to end this, but I'll be patient. ?

Meet the Homeboys:

The baby is little foot.

T5 HO 10.0 on all 3
I have not used anything besides fresh veggies, fresh fruit, and live insects....though the topic is very interesting to me!

Gave him a nice warm soak (as we have every time he's woken up). That pesky piece of dried salad that's been stuck to his lip for 6+ weeks finally came off. He's made moves like thinking about jumping out of his tub, but today is the first time he's actually tried—repeatedly. Had to move quick. I thought maybe he was feeling the urge to purge, but no such luck. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom