Barking chameleon??!!

Psychobunny

Avid Member
My youngest panther, about 4 months old, made a sound I have never heard from any cham before.
I was standing in front of his cage, he was in his basking spot, and seemed content.
Suddenly, he made a sound, I cant quite discribe it, it was like a cross between a bark and a frog croaking. They were short bursts, and each time he puffed up his chin when he made the sound.
He did this several times, then just stoped.

It was not very loud, but I would have heard it in the next room if I were not standing right in front of him.

You know how a frog will croak, and inflate his chin with air with each croak?

Well, it was sort of like that, only he extended his chin like they do when they are mad at something.

It was a very odd sound, like I said, I cant really discribe it, but I have never heard it before.
I have heard other sounds, purry, vibrating, etc. but this was different.

Does anyone know what I am taking about, or ever heard this from a panther?

Could be the start pf a respiratory infection. Is your cham under a fan or across from an AC vent.? I have seen this before in one of our females. I changed the placement of the cage and it stopped.

I am now suspected you are right about the RI.
He is showing all the early symtoms.
Also, the day I got him, I noticed he was breathing very heavy.
At the time just thought it was stress, now it all figures.
He has little appitite, esp for a young cham, and he has a hard time swallowing.

I got him from Bruce of Chameleon Paradise, and don't know what to do but raise his temps, and lower the RH.
I am giving him Reptaid, I don't know if it does anything, I have no 'faith' in 'herbal' type stuff, likely all 'snake oil'!!

I have Baytrill, but don't know if it's right for this kind of infection.
Also, he is too small and young for an aggressive antibiotic.
May well kill him!!!

I hope and pray it works out for him! I am sure he will be fine, just get him to a vet and do all that you can to help him.

It'd be kind of cool if he could bark, without it being a problem though. :p

they make a purring like vibration sound. I forget what it's purpose is, but yes, NORMAL. just rare, unless in your hand and you notice or feel it. This is why you should keep only one species of chameleon. I read so much on all them, trying to keep everything perfect, I forget the little cool facts like this. welcome to 40+ years old. It's like I say about my brain 'pouring 4 gal into 3 gal, some gets spilled'.

I am going to keep an eye on him and if the Reptaid, higher temp dont show improvment, I will have to take him to the vet, which I dread doing, because he is so little.
Antibiotics are very hard on even an adult cham's system, a little guy like this, it could kill him.
Besides the stress from going to the vet and being probed and handled is extreme! :eek:

When I got my little 6 week old veiled it had RI pretty bad and I too was afraid a trip to the Vet would be too much ,so I got Reptivite (w/D3) as I use plain Calcium, when I got a does of reptivite in him the RI cleared up within a week, Prayer also helps

Did not see the other post. Phone was in 'sleep' in between posting. If it the famous 'popping' of snot, then i would guess ri. I would not use baytril without definitive vet recommendation. Gram positive vs negative, vs wrong antibiotic does only harm. Take that rabbit of yours with you, when you go to the vet. It looks a bit rabid. I was hoping you got to be one of the lucky few to hear the marky mark good vibrations of a chameleon. Supposedly, it is was cooler than a gecko bark. Like the al green of kitten purrs.

I would not be alarmed by this at all - so long as it doesn't persist for long periods or accompany any other behaviour. My Panther did this around the same age and it startled me as well but it's completely normal. I heard him do it on a couple different occasions and then he seemed to grow out of it!

Back
Top Bottom