Bacteria Question

jessica

Avid Member
Earl's culture and sensitivity test came back with:

Proteus Mirabilis

Morganella Morganii

The vet said they are pretty nasty bacteria. I was curious if anybody has experience with these and may be tell me what kind of a battle is Earl and I are in for?

Proteus has showed up a couple of times in my chameleons. It didn't seem to be difficult to get rid of. I'm sure one of them had morganella too...but I don't remember if it was a hard one to get rid of or not. Wish I could remember.

Hey Jessica!! I missed ur last post, but I am assuming this was a c&s of a fecal?? ( I'm too lazy 2nite to look it up!! :rolleyes:) IMO, I don't think treating Proteus is the problem, I would say more so side effects of not treating. The factors that make it nasty are: it is a flagellate, (which means it has a tail :p) this increases it mobility, it also secretes a substance that damages the cells lining the bladder and ureters which can lead to bloody urine and inflammation of the urinary tract. This bacteria is able to change the ph of the urine to more of a higher ph which can result in the formation of kidney bladder stones. Eventually if left untreated, it can result in large calcified stones that may need to be surgically removed, permanent kidney damage, sepsis and or death. But this would be in severe cases.

Well, if it's not a fecal, you just got a bunch of information you don't need!!!:D

I'm not familiar with the other bacteria.

Hey Jessica!! I missed ur last post, but I am assuming this was a c&s of a fecal?? ( I'm too lazy 2nite to look it up!! :rolleyes:) IMO, I don't think treating Proteus is the problem, I would say more so side effects of not treating. The factors that make it nasty are: it is a flagellate, (which means it has a tail :p) this increases it mobility, it also secretes a substance that damages the cells lining the bladder and ureters which can lead to bloody urine and inflammation of the urinary tract. This bacteria is able to change the ph of the urine to more of a higher ph which can result in the formation of kidney bladder stones. Eventually if left untreated, it can result in large calcified stones that may need to be surgically removed, permanent kidney damage, sepsis and or death. But this would be in severe cases.

Well, if it's not a fecal, you just got a bunch of information you don't need!!!:D

I'm not familiar with the other bacteria.

The C&S was actually from an abscess that was hiding in a kink on Earls tail. It could be from burn injuries but the previous owner neglected him so who knows.

Honestly when I seen the green puss I thought Pseudomonas.

Oh yeah, nasty. Well, Proteus is found environmentally as is Psuedomonas. Both can cause a nasty abscess. I've mostly seen Pseudomonas pneumonia's, and lung abscesses. It's another common culprit for urinary tract infections. Good luck.

A female panther of mine had a heavy growth of morganella morganii in her lungs, it was successfully treated with Baytril. https://www.chameleonforums.com/back-vet-medication-questions-39302/index2.html (post 35)

Thank you, actually your thread is the only one that pops up in the search engine :)

Oh yeah, nasty. Well, Proteus is found environmentally as is Psuedomonas. Both can cause a nasty abscess. I've mostly seen Pseudomonas pneumonia's, and lung abscesses. It's another common culprit for urinary tract infections. Good luck.

Thank you for all of the information and the good luck wishes ;)

I hate to do this but I would love more information or to hear experience people have treating there chameleons for these bacterias

BUMP

Back
Top Bottom