Feedback on (Fortaz) for RI

Pluto_the_Panther

Established Member
My chameleon Pluto is dealing with a respiratory infection. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/gout.192120/
I took him to the vet and they had me do Fortaz every three days for 10 treatments. After a few, he seemed to be getting better but around the fifth, it came back and he doesn't seem to be doing too well. I was wondering what other people's experiences were with Fortaz. Also, I took him back and they're doing the proper test to identify the type of bacteria. However, they also said I could just try a new antibiotic. I opted to wait for the test results but I'm not sure at what point I should just try the other antibiotics. I don't want to tax his system with something ineffective but at the same time if he keeps declining it may be too late by the time I try it. When should I abandon waiting for the test results?

Hoping for some advice fairly soon. He doesn't look spectacular today so if anyone has thoughts on whether waiting for the results or just trying the new antibiotic would be better that would be appreciated. I really don't know what to do.

I'm reading a lot about using the wrong antibiotic creating resistant bacteria that are more difficult to treat. Still unsure if going with a new antibiotic without the test results is the best course but I'm not sure if he'll be healthy enough to recover by the time the results are in. Got the miDOG test done Tuesday. Results should be in 2-5 days so that could be as late as Monday.

If one antibiotic doesn't work then you need to get him on a different one ASAP. Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic, meaning it works on a wide variety of bacteria. That's why it is frequently used when a culture and sensitivity is declined or the results are pending. Baytril is a good antibiotic but dehydration has to be managed so it won't harm the kidneys. If he isn't eating and drinking you may need to give subcutaneous fluids or force feed liquids. I hesitate to use it first in mine for that reason but if needed and managed properly it can be a lifesaver.

If one antibiotic doesn't work then you need to get him on a different one ASAP. Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic, meaning it works on a wide variety of bacteria. That's why it is frequently used when a culture and sensitivity is declined or the results are pending. Baytril is a good antibiotic but dehydration has to be managed so it won't harm the kidneys. If he isn't eating and drinking you may need to give subcutaneous fluids or force feed liquids. I hesitate to use it first in mine for that reason but if needed and managed properly it can be a lifesaver.
And Baytril should treat stuff that fortaz isn't working on? Also he has no problems eating. He's still fairly active and alert it's just his RI symptoms are worse. Also let's say I get him on Baytril today and results are back Monday and say I need a different antibiotic. Would I be able to discontinue Baytril or will I have to keep him on it and use another antibiotic.

You should be able to switch him to a more effective antibiotic if that's what the test indicates. It's not switching antibiotics that creates resistance as much as things like missing doses or not finishing a course of antibiotics that lead to resistance.

You should be able to switch him to a more effective antibiotic if that's what the test indicates. It's not switching antibiotics that creates resistance as much as things like missing doses or not finishing a course of antibiotics that lead to resistance.
Ok, thanks. I called the vet and should be getting them today. Hopefully, I get lucky and whatever the new stuff is comes up as effective on the test and I don't have to try a third.

Back
Top Bottom