Back from Chameleon-Expedition in Madagascar

Teent!! I meant to say they kept the species they were studying over night in Exo terra cages overnight outside of the tent.. And they were like in the middle of AfricA.

Attachments

• HRE_Ankarana2.jpg
    HRE_Ankarana2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 262
  • HRE_Ankarana1.jpg
    HRE_Ankarana1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 272
we arrived in Ambilobe and at the next day we drive slowly from Ambilobe to Sirama to see whats the differnez between this colourmorphs.
but every few meters there was changing coloursmorphs and we didnt find parameters to separate sirama from ambilobe colourmorph.... thats why we
handle it like this...we call it AMBILORAMA...

for everyone who whant to see it in real can join us on the next chameleon-tour in 2012

info: http://www.tanalahorizon.com/madagaskar-reisen/spezialreisen/rueckkehr-zur-insel-der-drachen/

the guy on the left looks like he would be great for some red bodied lines. He doesn't look too flamed either, I'm assuming he gets real red.

Wow!!! This trip would be amazing! What kind of cost would this total? For one of course. You would not catch my wife dead in the midst of reptiles. She is a chicken!

Tour-Price for 3 Weeks Travel

Hi,
the Price of the Tour (3 Weeks ) is 2200,-€ (without Flights) all Hotels, Transportations, Park-Entrys, Driver, Tourguide, Local-Forestguide, Campingequipmend (food at the Camping) and Travelmoney-Safety Insurance are includet at the Price... the Flightcost from Paris are around 800,-€ but when you come from America, i think its better to go by Southafrican Airways to Madagascar (via Johannesbourg) you need around 200-300 € pocketmoney for drinks Food and souveniers... thats all
veloma, Mario

Great Yellow Lip Parsons!

It is official when I graduate my brother and I are going to go herping in Madagascar. I'm mostly looking for a tour that is east coast oriented however would not pass the opportunity to see some of the west coast as well.

Last edited:
In 2012 we are in der West, North-West and North of Madagascar with our Tour, to Fin F.timoni, and many other special things, in 2013 we do again the Eastcoast and North-East with Masoala and some other nice Places,

In 2012 we are in der West, North-West and North of Madagascar with our Tour, to Fin F.timoni, and many other special things, in 2013 we do again the Eastcoast and North-East with Masoala and some other nice Places,

I'm going to look into a 2013 expedition then. Let you know when my brother and I are done researching.

yes it was... the second part of this 6 week adventure (last 3 weeks)
we have the target to make a documantary about the colourmorphs
of furcifer pardalis... and also the rare chameleons like furcifer rhinoceratus and furcifer timoni...
we found rhinoceratus at the second day in ankarafantsika, very nice animals

next chameleon-tour:
http://www.tanalahorizon.com/madagaskar-reisen/spezialreisen/rueckkehr-zur-insel-der-drachen/

for infos mail at: [email protected]

i know the trip was a few months ago, but i just saw the thread! Wow, what pics!!! I loved them all, but my favorite was the purple rhino! How rare are they, & is there any chance of them ever making it to North America?

Hi,
the Furcifer rhinoceratus is rare, we only see them in the Dryforest of Ampijoroa and Ankarafantsika. For the People there this Cham is holy and totaly tabu to catch them. I dont know the chance, tho get them legaly.
this chams are forbidden to export out of Madagascar

Dear Madagascar friends,
we are in the middle of the preparations for our Chameleon-Expedition 2012, Today I got an Offer from the Airline for the International-Flights for 490,-€ plus Tax (Paris-Antananarivo-Paris) This is nearly 500,- € less than the standard price. If someone whant to join us on this Special Expedition, please contact us soon to get the special-Flight-Tarif. If someone have Questions about the Tour or the Flights, don’t be shy and contact us

Tour Info:
http://www.tanalahorizon.com/madagaskar-reisen/spezialreisen/rueckkehr-zur-insel-der-drachen/

Attachments

• IB-pardalis.jpg
    IB-pardalis.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 299
Chameleon-Expedition

Yes it was a great Time for us, and i cant wait for the next expedition...
if someone whant to join us on the Tour can contact us: [email protected]

here is the Programm of this expedition.

Tourprogram:

"The return to the Island of Dragons"

This photo and theme travel is dedicated to the most colorful reptiles in the world. Mountain cloud forests and dry forests are among the most remarkable landscapes. Of course we will also see some extremely rare varieties of lemurs and birds. The various different landscapes shape the character of our Madagascar trip. This extraordinary tour leads us through coniferous forests, past dry stone mountains and into the rain forest.

This trip not only offers photo and reptile enthusiasts an exceptional travel experience. It is also suitable for anyone with an interest in the largely endemic fauna and flora, as well as the unique culture of Madagascar.

Tour program (3 weeks)

1st stage: Antananarivo - Andasibe

After arriving in the capital, Antananarivo, the trip goes east bound to the mountain cloud forests of Andasibe and Voimana. There are many interesting chameleons e.g. Calumma parsonii, Calumma parsoni christiferum and many more. But before we arrive in Andasibe, we make another stop on the breeding farm for chameleons in Mandraka. In Andasibe the group is divided into smaller groups, so it is not too busy during the excursions and everybody gets the chance to see the animals well. While one group goes to Analamazaotra National Park looking for chameleons and lemurs, the other group will go to Voimana National Park and look for Parsonis and bifidus, and of course, Calumma gallus. After 3 nights in Andasibe we will go back to the capital and continue to the north, in direction of Ankarafantsika.

2nd stage: Antananarivo - Ankarafantsika

Through the beautiful northern highlands to the National Park of Ankarafantsika. In this dry forest the rare Furcifer rhinoceratus can be found. The females of this species are purple in color and are highly attractive. The bizarre nasal appendage of the male inspired the name of this chameleon. Even the rare Erdchamäleon Brookesia Decarie can be found with some luck in the foliage of the jungle floor. In this park there is a lake which is home to some crocodiles (Crocidilus niloticus madagascariensis). The landscape here is extremely attractive and the Ambalabongo Gorge is the highlight of this tour. The final step on this stage is Mahajanga. In the forest areas are located south of Mahajanga, we hope encounter the extremely rare Furcifer angelii and Furcifer labordi.

3rd stage: Ankarafantsika - Ankarana

After our stay on the west coast of Madagascar, we continue our journey north. A long drive will take us to the stage Antsohihy. The next morning, the research starts in the habitat of the panther chameleon. The cities Ankaramy, Djangoa and Ambanja are well known amongst reptile enthusiasts in relation with the different color variations. We will record the location of each color variation with the GPS, and of course also collect the data from each habitat. This stage ends in the idyllic village Ankify. Here, large specimens of panther chameleons can be found. We will even try to encounter the colorfull Nosy Faly in its antural habitat (here we will visit Robby). There is also the possibility to get some rest before we continue our expedition to the north.

4th stage: Ankarana - Ambilobe - Montagne d Ambre - Ramena

From Ankify we will go to Ambilobe. This is home to one of the most popular color variations of the panther chameleon. Along the road to Sirama we will get to see many different colored specimens. After this excursion, we will go into the needle rock massif of Ankarana. Again, we will get to see rare reptiles including Leaf-tailed geckos of the genus Uroplatus henkeli. After staying in Ankarana, we will continue north and make a trip to see the bizarre-sounding "red Tsingy". The landscape here is absolutely unique and offers a lot of photo opportunities. Our next destination is the Cloud Forest of the Montagne d'Ambre. We hope to find the newly discovered Furcifer Timoni and Furcifer petteri. In the Montagne d'Ambre we will look for other very attractive chameleons like: Calumma amber, Calumma ambrensis, Calumma boettgeri, Brookesia tuberculata and Brookesia Antakarana. Even the largest of all leaf-tailed gecko’s (Uroplatus fimbriatus gigantea) can be found in these forests. After this stage, our route takes us past Diego Suarez to the rown of Ramena. Here we can relax a bit after this exciting tour before returning to the capital and finally home.

Services & Pricing

Included in price:

-Travelling by car, ferry, boat in Madagascar (no flights!)

-All accommodation during the tour (hotels, bungalows, lodges. As detailed)

-All entrance fees for scheduled destinations and national parks

-Tour guides during the entire tour

-Drivers and vehicles (including fuel)

-Harbor taxes

-Travel Insurance

-Local guides in the National Forest Park

-Camping equipment (except sleeping bag and mattress)

Travel period: 25 March to 15 April 2012

Tour price : 2300,-€ p. Person DR (excluding flights)

Attachments

• FC-pardalis1.jpg
    FC-pardalis1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 282
Back
Top Bottom