baby panther always dark!

tmsjns

hey guys, I recently got a baby panther nosy be who is around 15 week old. he is in a exo terra 45x45x60 (height) has a basking lamp on a dimmer stat set to 86f and has loads of artificial vines and a 5.0 retpi sun uvb strip, i mist him in the mornings and at night (7.30am and 6pm) and his lights are on a timer 7am-9pm. I feed him around 8 1st crickets a day and he seems active plus hes shed once since Iv had him.

The problem is that he seems to be dark all the time in the 2 weeks iv had him. Am I doing anything wrong or could he be getting used to me being around still?

You need to mist him acouple of more times a day if possible.

As for him staying dark, it could be that heh hasn't grown into his colors yet, or he's still a bit stressed from moving. How long have you had him?

i cant really mist him any more because im in work but iv bought a dripper and a new live plant so that should help with that! Im glad thats the only thing im doing wrong I was worried I had it all set-up wrong

Cage too large?

The cage dimensions you give are really big for a panther that age. It will be really hard for him to spend enough time in the range of the UVB rays.

Could you post a picture of your cage set up that shows him in it? That Reptisun 5.0 will not provide enough UVB for a young growing juvie in a cage that tall.

I breed and raise panthers and most of my juvies that age are kept in much smaller cages. The largest members of a clutch at that age might be kept in an 18x18x36 cage at the most. I really think your cage is overwhelming for a panther at that age. I seriously think you need to put him in another cage until his is a sub-adult.

his basking temps are around 85-86f i was told babies shouldnt be kept too hot. the cage measurments are in cm in inches its around 18x18x24 thats not too big is it!?

hi mate
could it be that he has some colour coming through,your tank seem fine to me.i keep my babies at 80f-82f and they seem to be growing very well.

graeme

lol hey graeme i got my baby from you lol! i think hes doing good its just that when he sees my that when he goes darkish (brown/red) when he stalks hes white/black i just wanted a second opinion! thanks again mate hes awsome I think im just not used to a pet I cant handle? or should i pick him up now ro get him tame or leave him to grow then try!?

Back
Top Bottom