Baby chameleon eye problem...SERIOUS!

hooterhead

I bought this little Fischers about two weeks ago after watching it in the store for about four weeks. I spent most of yesterday, last night and about half of the day today at my parents house and when I got home today, there is something protruding out of the socket. The eyelids are tightly closed on that eye and he doesn't move it much. Temp is at 75 deg and holds pretty steady at that during the day. 78 was the highest it's reached yet according to my therm. Nighttime drops to about 68 and humidity holds 75% in-between misting due to the waterfall. Pics are attached and I can't tell if it's something in the eye or if it's the eye (or what's left of it) it's self. I'm looking for a herp vet in Denton but there don't seem to be many. It's too late today (all places I've called did not answer). Any ideas on what I could do to help it? Will it be able to feed with only one eye or will that throw off it's aim? Any ideas on what else could have caused it?

The background is coated in coco fiber. I think that's what it is. The eyelids look full like there's something behind them. Should i try and remove?

Attachments

• DSCF2142.JPG
    DSCF2142.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCF2140.JPG
    DSCF2140.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF2139.JPG
    DSCF2139.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 137
Give him long, thorough misting sessions with warm water. That should help him flush it out. Your still going to have to go to the vet though.

I bought this little Fischers about two weeks ago after watching it in the store for about four weeks. I spent most of yesterday, last night and about half of the day today at my parents house and when I got home today, there is something protruding out of the socket. The eyelids are tightly closed on that eye and he doesn't move it much. Temp is at 75 deg and holds pretty steady at that during the day. 78 was the highest it's reached yet according to my therm. Nighttime drops to about 68 and humidity holds 75% in-between misting due to the waterfall. Pics are attached and I can't tell if it's something in the eye or if it's the eye (or what's left of it) it's self. I'm looking for a herp vet in Denton but there don't seem to be many. It's too late today (all places I've called did not answer). Any ideas on what I could do to help it? Will it be able to feed with only one eye or will that throw off it's aim? Any ideas on what else could have caused it?

The background is coated in coco fiber. I think that's what it is. The eyelids look full like there's something behind them. Should i try and remove?

i know your'e not supposed to mess with their eyes..........if you can get him to vet and let them decide what to do. i do know that my cham jack had a piece of shed stuck in his eye for quite some time, and i left it until it started to bother him. i got a piece of a really soft cloth, (but nothing that will shed again once wet, like a q tip or kleenex) and got it wet and just lightly rubbed it out. i noticed him trying to rub his eye on his branches to try and remove it, so i just did the same thing with the moist towel, just lightly brushed it across his eye and it removed the piece of skin.

but take him to a vet first, because you dont know what it is that is stuck, it could scrape his eye if you try to get it out.

Already a quick update. Just saw it rubbing on one of it's vines. the thing in it's eye moved. so i gave it a nudge and it came out. It was a piece of the background. It was huge though. I really hope it didn't damage it. it's still not opened yet. but i'm hoping it will soon.

Do what I recommended and spray him and his cage down with warm water. Can you post pictures of your cage setup?

I've sprayed it down and he has it open now. Seems it's still a bit sensitive but stress colors are gone now. Thank you. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Attachments

• DSCF2143.JPG
    DSCF2143.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 152
I see you have a schefflera. What are the other plants? What is the black on the background?

Back
Top Bottom