Are normal house lightbulbs alright for basking?

Aussie

Hey everyone, my basking light for my 3-4 month old veiled broke the other day and I replaced it with a normal house bulb. The basking bulb was a 100w and the house bulb is a 95w incandescent, will that be alright or should I get a new basking bulb? I also have my light dome on the top angled to give more of a gradient because I read on here that the incandescent bulbs tend to heat up the whole inclosure more instead of just being aimed at the basking spot. If anyone has some experience with this please let me know, thanks :D

yes i use house bulbs for basking on all my chams it saves me money!:D make sure its not way too hot for your veiled as he is still young!:D

Sooolid, thanks! Yeah at first I noticed he was gaping a little but since I've angled them back he hasnt done that so I think the temp is good now :D

i use normal household incandescent as well as i think many of us do.

make sure if its a beam or spotlight that the basking spot dosnt get rediculously hot, sometimes those types of bulbs will have a very hot focused area. specifically in my experience, the philips halogena.

I use house bulbs too .... It's a shame they are phasing then out for coil bulbs. I understand the energy efficient point....but it won't help my chams

Hey everyone, my basking light for my 3-4 month old veiled broke the other day and I replaced it with a normal house bulb. The basking bulb was a 100w and the house bulb is a 95w incandescent, will that be alright or should I get a new basking bulb? I also have my light dome on the top angled to give more of a gradient because I read on here that the incandescent bulbs tend to heat up the whole inclosure more instead of just being aimed at the basking spot. If anyone has some experience with this please let me know, thanks :D

yep you should be using household bulbs, they are pretty much identical to those reptile bulbs except way cheaper :D

@Dez: they are phasing them out for household use, but you can still buy them (it is not illegal to continue selling those bulbs) so I'm sure we can find them....they just might not be so cheap :p

Last edited:
Re:

Achieve gradient with regular incandescent light bulbs set to whatever wattage needed to reach and maintain the above temps. There is no need for special “reptile basking lights”. Normal household bulbs are preferred.

Use no night time heating, it is unnecessary as the native environment for these animals gets cold at night anyway, they're fine with it. As long as your home stays above 60F at night and dragon is in overall good health, do not waste your time or money on night time heat.
----------------
Buitenlampen

Back
Top Bottom