Anyone use philodendron scandens??

crocky

I was curious if anyone used this vining plant and if it was safe. I have read that they are like pothos or in the same family and should be fine despite the web states toxicity? I have read where plenty of folks have used this just fine for many years for all kinds of reptiles then I read a couple places where they say they are the poisonous cousin of the pothos.

Here is the plant I am talking about
https://www.google.com/search?q=phi...VK4rU9QSDyYGQCA&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672
And here
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week334.shtml

Last edited:
Here is the plant I am referring to tha I bought. It is sitting by my indoor pond for now until I can get some clarification :D
b0003d62935a2652d0ccd3c46fbc27be.jpg

All the knowledgable folks in this forum, I know there are some folks that either use it or don't and can confirm they are toxic
:eek:

I don't see it on this list: http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp , but that doesn't mean it's not safe. Sorry I couldn't confirm nor deny your plant of interest. Hopefully you'll get someone to chime in...

Thanks Max, yeah I looked there but did not see pothos listed either and I know folks use that, so figured there were a few not listed that may be ok like of mentioned. I also know that pothos is listed in websites as poisonous but I don't know of anyone that has had issues and I know a ton of folks that use it.
Hopefully someone will chime in that has used the philodendron scandens

Last edited:
Pothos is listed under "Golden Pothos". It is toxic if consumed in copious amounts, but we all use it...

Pothos is listed under "Golden Pothos". It is toxic if consumed in copious amounts, but we all use it...

I totally missed that :). Yeah I see lots of folks using it so figured the one I pictured would be ok too but it is a little different family but related so I wanted to be sure. I will probably err on the side of caution and let it stay by my indoor pond for decoration.

Is your Cham a plant eater? Fenix never ate and leaves, but Walker tears up his schefflera!

Bumping this one more time. I postd pics of the plant on the front page for reference. Anyone, anyone at all use these? They are pretty common but like pothos it states the leaves can be toxic but as a cousin to the pothos I was not sure if it was the same kind of thing where a lot would have to be eaten? They look very similar.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight

I have used most of the Philodendron and Pathos species readily available at the Lowes, Home Depot, and Garden Stores. Looking at the color and size of the leaf, this is one that I have used, without problems.

I would use it.:D

Nick Barta

I have used most of the Philodendron and Pathos species readily available at the Lowes, Home Depot, and Garden Stores. Looking at the color and size of the leaf, this is one that I have used, without problems.

I would use it.:D

Nick Barta

Thanks Nick. I figured someone had some experience good or bad with it. I read where the leaves even if uneaten can be irritating to eyes etc, but then I also read where folks use it all the time in free ranges and cages. Did some more digging this morning. I found more folks that used it with no issues than anything. I actually did not find anything where someone used it with reported ill effects.

First off, Philodendrons and "Potho's" (Epipremnum spp.) are two totally different plant genera. They are commonly confused.

Both are considered toxic, often attributed to high levels of calcium oxalates. These oxalates are also found in Kale, which is why kale is suggested to be used in moderate amounts. Oxalates can damage already weakened or begin damage to the kidneys and gallbladder. It can also affect calcium absorption.
I am sure there are also other components that could negatively affect a consuming animal.

With that noted, as mentioned, many have and do use Epipremnum (Pothos) and Philodendron species.

Unless you have a particular animal that tends to consume relatively copious amounts of vegetation, I would not be worried about using Epipremnum or Philodendron species. P. scadens is very hardy. The only downfall I could see, would be that the leaves are often orientated vertically, so the benefit of collected water is minimized as compared to some other plants. But hardy and moderately quick growing habits may be a winning factor for some keepers.

All aside, I see many people using other toxic plants. Croton is a common example. Croton is a type of Euphorbia, which are all listed as toxic by many sources. Yet, many people still keep them and have no [reported] ill results.

So unless your cham ordered veggies A la carte, I think you are safe to rock on with your Philo's!

Thanks, I buy most of mine from local green house businesses. I was actually going to use the scandens for cover more than anything, right now I have a ficus, a couple of pothos and Hoya rubra. Just waiting impatiently for all to grow in, that is why I considered the philodendron scandens as I have several smaller plants with very long vines. Still have not added it yet as it just had me a little worried and wanted to hear of more folks using it without issue.

Thanks for the input it is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom