Condors Reproduce Asexually

That was all part of the video I saw. Very few chicks(?) were tested that way, so there may be more out there that are surviving to reproduce(?)

Perhaps there is a reason the female condors rejected male participation?

I just thought the phenomenon was interesting in such large (albeit ancient) birds.

It's very interesting!
I wonder how many other critters are asexual that we haven't figured out yet?

Here's one link...
"Parthenogenesis is unusual in birds, but it does happen. The first reported instance occurred among pigeons in 1924, and has since been noted in a few additional species: chicken, quail, zebra finches, and turkeys, all birds that humans intensively surveil"...
https://www.audubon.org/news/newly-recorded-condor-virgin-birth-another-way-birds-are-reptiles

Last edited:
It's very interesting!
I wonder how many other critters are asexual that we haven't figured out yet?
I'm wondering the same thing. A few decades (years?) ago, we didn't have the tech to answer this question, but now that we do, the list keeps growing...

Parthenogenesis is seen to occur naturally in aphids, Daphnia, rotifers, nematodes and some other invertebrates, as well as in many plants. Among vertebrates, strict parthenogenesis is only known to occur in lizards, snakes,[38] birds[39] and sharks,[40] with fish, amphibians and reptiles exhibiting various forms of gynogenesis and hybridogenesis (an incomplete form of parthenogenesis).[41] The first all-female (unisexual) reproduction in vertebrates was described in the fish Poecilia formosa in 1932.[42] Since then at least 50 species of unisexual vertebrate have been described, including at least 20 fish, 25 lizards, a single snake species, frogs, and salamanders.[41] Other usually sexual species may occasionally reproduce parthenogenetically; the Komodo dragon and hammerhead and blacktip sharks are recent additions to the known list of spontaneous parthenogenetic vertebrates. As with all types of asexual reproduction, there are both costs (low genetic diversity and therefore susceptibility to adverse mutations that might occur) and benefits (reproduction without the need for a male) associated with parthenogenesis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis
Someplace I saw some tardigrades included.

Back
Top Bottom