Rare Russian raptor spotted in Maine

That is accurate. That is a Stellars Sea Eagle (Haliaeetus pelagicus) . They are native to Eastern Russia mostly in the Kamchatka area. That species is the worlds largest/biggest eagle and an amazing species.

This eagle was spotted in Alaska over a year ago. Then went off the grid. Then reappeared in Texas six months later. Then went off the grid and showed up in North Eastern North America. This is the first time this species has been seen in any of these locations except for Alaska and the species native range in Russia.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Yes I’ve heard about it but it’s not near me so I haven’t seen it. I believe it’s still in Maine.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve heard about it but it’s not near me so I haven’t seen it. I believe it’s still in Maine.
This Eagle is off the grid again. Ornithologist following this bird think after more than a year of being in habitat that is outside of this species native habitat, this bird has learned how to live and should continue to live in the birds new home habitat of North America.

Digits crossed this Eagle shows up again.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

As of a week ago it was.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Steller's+Sea+Eagle&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIg9GhxJj2AhVMGDQIHcjhABIQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1024&bih=625&dpr=1

Looks like about 10 miles from you.

If interested, Maine Audubon Society seems to be following it, or goggle news.

Coincidentally, it has close to the same wingspan as the pterosaur fossil recently discovered in Scotland.
The National Museum of Scotland said the fossil of the pterosaur, more popularly known as pterodactyls, is the largest of its kind ever discovered from the Jurassic period. The reptile had an estimated wingspan of more than 2.5 meters (8.2 feet), similar to that of an albatross, the museum said.
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/23/1082571849/pterosaur-fossil-rare-scotland

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom