Anyone keeping Tr. oweni?

adamkwas

Established Member
Is/has anyone on this forum keeping/kept Trioceros oweni? I was browsing through Benny's site, and saw a couple pics. Benny, are you keeping this species?

Adam

Hi Adam,

yes I have the chance to keep them at the moment. It's a very impressing species and probably the most aggressive one too. Maybe I can film someday the behaviour against humans. I have never kept a species which is comparable to this behaviour.
And it's the most shiest species too. Very observing, they see you always before you see them, even when the enclosure is fully covered to avoid stress...

Benny

Wo ist dieser Arten aus? Ist es selten? Ich habe noch nie davon gehört. Ist die Arten, auf jacksonii verwandte :)
Where is this species from? Is it rare? I have never heard of it.
Are these related to jacksons?

Last edited:
They live in many central african countries but they seem to be extremly rare. I have never heard that somebody finds more than just a handfull specimen on one expedition. The rareness could be caused by their extrem shy behaviour and the fact that they prefer the higher regions in the forests. They are egg layers and from what I know not close related to the jacksonii group. Their nearest relatives are Trioceros ituriensis

You certainly have an intrerest in the more unusual lizards. Do you keep lizards other than chameleons at all? other reptiles?

Du hast ja eine intrerest in der eher ungewöhnlichen Eidechsen. Halten Sie Eidechsen andere als Chamäleons überhaupt? andere Reptilien?
Gefällt Ihnen australischen Arten?

At the moment not. I used to keep various Phelsuma (klemmeri, quad.parva, laticauda, inexpectata, lineata dorsivitatta) and Lygodactylus (kimhowelii, williamsi, picturatus, capensis) species, but at the moment just chams from the genera Trioceros, Kinyongia, Bradypodion and Rhampholeon.
I still keep some cuadatas, eg Salamandra atra and Triturus cristatus. But the chams are my favourit herps and they are still become more and more ;)
What I would try to get next year are other live bearing reptiles, best possible Naultinus, Cordylus or Abronia

Naultinus grayii are exceptionally beautiful species. I wish it were possible to keep them here. I may consider moving to NZ but it is too cold. :)

Naultinus grayii sind außergewöhnlich schöne Arten. Ich wünschte, es wäre möglich, sie hier zu behalten. Ich an den Umzug nach NZ, aber es ist zu kalt

Yes, would be very expensive here, probly about $1000 each being illegal.

Ja, wäre hier sehr teuer, probly über $ 1000 pro rechtswidrig./ 623.146 Euro

I also recently discovered the beauty of Naultinus but the price it's out of my possibilities.. :( for what i know a pair cb it's 3000-4000 €..
Back to Oweni.. they are really so aggressive?? a video will be a good idea Benny!!

Back
Top Bottom