Anyone in the L.A. area have fresh Ponazuril?

luckykarma

Not more than a week old?

I think mine expired because it having zero effect on a re-infection in one animal. Its hard to believe this drug went from total annihilation to no effectiveness.

Being a compounded version my vet thinks it won't last more than a month if that. The stupid pharmacy in AZ didn't send it yesterday as they promised and then left a message 10 minutes before they closed today to say they had trouble with the CC and it wasn't going out. :mad::mad:

So nice they waited two days to deal with it.

I'm really desperate. My little guy is overwhelmed with coccidia.

just a question, how does he keep getting re-infected. is it that coccidia is such a persistent parasite, or maybe its something in his cage.

There are many theories and according to Dave Weldon who just discussed it with Dr. Greek, cham always have coccidia in them if they were ever infected. (Just as Dave mentioned human who had chickenpox always carry it and it manifest late in life as shingles.) Their normal immune system normally keeps it in check. Any extreme stress or even a lowering of their immune system for whatever reason is enough for it to re-emerge.

I had completely eradicated it and stopped doing floats a after a week of clean ones. It is possible somehow he got re-infected even with all my sterilization efforts. Its seems to be the continuing education of that nasty parasite.

Since Ponazuril has shown to be a miracle cure I wasn't too upset until my bottle showed absolutely no effect on the coccidia after 4 doses. Before that would be enough to know out 90% of it. Now it keeps doubling every time to float.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your little guy. I hope that you get the Ponazuril that you need. All I have here is the Appertex. I'll be happy to overnight that to you but he didn't handle that well before did he?

Hi Jann,

Thanks. I have appertex here as well. No he puked it up. I guess I could grind it up with some food. That's a good idea. It did work before. Maybe that will help until the Ponazuril comes.

Did Luie go off food with Appertex?

No he didn't. I couldn't even tell he was taking it. My husband injected it into a worm and Luie did good....never lost his appetite and seemed to feel good. He checked clean really quick too. We were expecting to have to give it much longer than we did.

I just mashed up a silkworm with 1/2 pill and gave it to him. Hopefully no puking or lethargy. I know it works. Not as brilliantly as Ponazuril did the first time but its something that will tide me over until Wednesday when I expect the knuckleheads to have the new Ponazuril here.

Thanks Jann! I forgot about Appertex. Good thing I didn't give it away.

hey Gary, I only have the one Nicole bought.
So, it is older than a week.
Other than that, I have reptiAid coming pretty soon from Gesang.
I am now going to keep using Reptiaid brushed on a hornworm for at least a month or two.

There are many theories and according to Dave Weldon who just discussed it with Dr. Greek, cham always have coccidia in them if they were ever infected. (Just as Dave mentioned human who had chickenpox always carry it and it manifest late in life as shingles.) Their normal immune system normally keeps it in check. Any extreme stress or even a lowering of their immune system for whatever reason is enough for it to re-emerge...
Howdy,

Just to clarify my discussion with Dr. Greek today; his comments suggested that he was very skeptical of any drug being able to completely eliminate coccidia from a reptile. I mentioned that my Veiled's fecal tests have continued to be free of any signs of coccidia for 4-5 months so far. He commented that just because it isn't showing-up in fecals doesn't mean that it isn't lurking, waiting for a chance to start-up again. I've still got my fingers crossed that it is gone :eek:. I commented to Gary that maybe it is somewhat dormant like when someone has chickenpox as a kid and it now sits dormant around nerve pathways. Severe emotional stress can trigger it to emerge as shingles even 50 years later :(.

I just wanted to add a bit about how well Reptaid has worked on some of our more difficult cases. We have a Male Panther who after a long fight with Coccidia and standard drugs was treated with Reptiad. He has been clean since 5/30/08. Thats almost 6 months. And a male veiled who came to us quite ill has been clean since 3/21/08. That's 9 months.
As for whether a cham will always have the parasite, I certainly hope and pray that is not true. All I know is that in our experience Reptaid has helped them with incredible results!

Sold. I'll order a bottle. Can you tell use dosage and treatment lengths? Should it be refrigerated? Or only the dilution? The refrigerated dilation, how long does it last in the frig?

LuckyKarma
The dose is basically .1ml per 100g animal weight. We send a 1ml syringe with the bottle and you can either inject the Reptaid right into the mouth, without the needle. Or you can inject it into the belly of a dubia or cricket using the needle. You treat your cham once a day for 10 days. Wait a couple of days and continue with another 10 days if it is needed. We have seen infections clear up in just 2-3 days. All gone, just amazing. And some parasites clean up quickly but coccidia sometimes takes a while. Just be persistant with 10 day treatments and test fecals between if you have a microscope.
The solution is mixed after you open the bottles and then it has to be refrigerated. Unopened bottles have a shelf life of 4 years. Once mixed we are sure it will last a long time IF refrigerated but we don't know how long. Perhaps the same 4 years. Once you see how it helps your reptiles, you will probably use it up, like we do.
There is good discussion going on the classifieds forum about reptaid right here on Chameleon Forums. You might read that discussion. And of course on our website, where you can order the Reptaid, there is more info to read. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
thanks

Back
Top Bottom