Chameleons and Coccidia - Ponazuril offers new hope

Um, no.

Its weight x dose / strength = actual dosage

Using the 100 gram as an example.

.1kg x 30mg/ml divide by 60mg/kg = .05ml or 5 of the lines on the syringe. So your Ambilobe was dosed 1/5 of what he should have had.

I have the formula in an excel sheet I can email you.

Um, no.

Its weight x dose / strength = actual dosage

Using the 100 gram as an example.

.1kg x 30mg/ml divide by 60mg/kg = .05ml or 5 of the lines on the syringe. So your Ambilobe was dosed 1/5 of what he should have had.

I have the formula in an excel sheet I can email you.

This may change things

I had the numbers wrong. .1 not .01

I have been giving

.1 for 100g (Ambilobe 8 months)

1/2 of .1 (or 1 drop) for 50g (Nosey Be 5 months)

2 little lines on syringe for 15g (Sambava 3.5 months)

Bottle Reads 0.1 ML BY MOUTH DAILY FOR 3 DAYS THEN OFF FOR 7 DAYS , 0.1 FOR 3 MORE DAYS

30MG/ML SUSPENSION

This was written for my 100+g Ambilobe as he was the biggest. The rest were to get half the does and the little guy the two lines.

He changed the strength then so my cal will be off.

The strength I received was 60mg/ml so yours is half that which would then work out to .1 as written.

The little guy would work out to 2 of the lines so you're all set.

In your case the formula (for 100 g animal) would be:

.1kg x 30mg/ml divide by 30mg/kg = .1ml

He changed the strength then so my cal will be off.

The strength I received was 60mg/ml so yours is half that which would then work out to .1 as written.

The little guy would work out to 2 of the lines so you're all set.

In your case the formula (for 100 g animal) would be:

.1kg x 30mg/ml divide by 30mg/kg = .1ml

Cool, I was a little confused. :) .. Got it

I should also add

All 5 Chameleons on the drug had gained an average of 10g each during the first course of treatment all as a result of normal growth.
All 5 are under 1 year of age ranging from 3.5 months - 8.5 months.

Everyone has eaten like pigs , been active and two even mated.

This is excellent news and and another nail in the coffin of Albon, imho, since it has the inverse effect.

My guy was so scrawny for a 5 month old I couldn't believe we bought him after I had a good look at him after bringing him home from the show. He's put on tremendous body and leg mass since the treatments and getting rid of the coccidia. He gained 22 grams in the month I've had him and 1 inch in length. Eats like a pig as well.

Once you're done I'll compile a report for Dr. Stein with my animals and yours as the reference. Hopefully others will happen onto this thread so the more concert data we can provide the better for people convincing their vets to prescribe it.

Yes, The Nosey Be I tested yesterday still had hundreds. 200+ per slide.

I just did a float on my Sambava. He was the heaviest loaded of my bunch. Wall to Wall on the slide. :mad:

Anyway , I was able to count maybe 45 - 50 on the slide. That is a huge reduction.

So Far everyones last float.

Female Ambilobe - 0 /
Male Abilobe - 20 /
Male Nosey Be - 200 /
Sambava - 50 /
Ambanja - waiting for a sample

Hey guys, I am pretty sure my male Jacksons has coccidia which may mean my others do as well. I am going to give Ponazuril a try so will need to go to the vet very soon (the rescues need to go anyway so it works out)

If my vet hasn't heard of it, should I just take this thread in and show her so that I can get the prescription? Also, tips on keeping everything clean to prevent reinfection? I was thinking stripped cages, boiling fake plants, tossing real ones out and cup feeding. I heard ammonia works well, but I want a steamer. Should it just be a clothes steamer? What is a good brand? what is savable out of my cages?

Thanks in advance! I hope I get this all sorted out soon (it all happens at once, right?)

I've been using appertex - I THOUGHT it was working. My W.C. melleri had a clear fecal for a week or so. I changed cages, etc. All seemed fine for a few weeks. I started to treathim again, and he got better - then worse, then died.

Wondering if this stuff woudl have been a better course of action. Is there any way to obtain this in smaller (not $200) quantities? Must it be through a vet?

I've been using appertex - I THOUGHT it was working. My W.C. melleri had a clear fecal for a week or so. I changed cages, etc. All seemed fine for a few weeks. I started to treathim again, and he got better - then worse, then died.

Wondering if this stuff woudl have been a better course of action. Is there any way to obtain this in smaller (not $200) quantities? Must it be through a vet?

Agreed. Is there a better, cheaper way to get it?

Unfortunately only through a vet. Then its very cheap as long as the vet uses a compound pharmacy. If they don't know of one I can tell you the one Dr. Stein uses in Arizona and they ship nationwide.

Dave Weldon used Appertex and completely rid one of his Chams of coccidia. My guys didn't fair well on it as mentioned earlier due to administering by mouth.

With Ryan's latest experience I would hope any vet reading this would give it a try. No loss of appetite. Kills the coccidia and gentle on the animal.

Ryan. I'm wondering when you floated the Nosey Bey last? His numbers should've come down.

Ryan. I'm wondering when you floated the Nosey Bey last? His numbers should've come down.

I couldn't find a new one for the Nosey yet. That is the same float I mentioned in the earlier post. I am going to do a new one tomorrow.

I am spending the day with my steam cleaner, lots of soap, five cages, 10 plants, lots of sticks and vines and five Panthers on their last dose of Ponazuril (Fingers Crossed).

Mine with shipping was $27. I could treat everyone 10 times with the amount I was given.

Here is an update. Two of my guys had a sample waiting for me when I got up.

Male Nosey Be - 200 / 100 reduced by 1/2 in two days.

I am going to up doses a little for the last one to match everyones weight gain. Its not mutch but I want it to be as effective as possible.

Ambanja -float #1 -0 float # 2 -1 (1 found)

Good work Ryan. Since we know Ponazuril continues to kill for the 7 days after stopping your guys should be clean by next weekend. Please let us know.

I think its a good idea to adjust for the new weight. We don't know what the OD range is on Ponazuril yet, but judging by how it seems to have little effect on the eating/drinking/activity I'm hoping there's a very wide margin.

Here is an update. Two of my guys had a sample waiting for me when I got up.

Male Nosey Be - 200 / 100 reduced by 1/2 in two days.

I am going to up doses a little for the last one to match everyones weight gain. Its not mutch but I want it to be as effective as possible.

Ambanja -float #1 -0 float # 2 -1 (1 found)

Just floated my Sambava and found 1 that is down from 50 yesterday!. I am doing a second float to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom