Chameleons and Coccidia - Ponazuril offers new hope

yea crap i wish i wouldve seen this thread prior...talked to the vet got him off of it, wait a couple of days to see if his appetite comes back. i asked her about the ponazuril and she has access to it fortunately so i can hopefully get him on that as soon as possible. thank you for all the great info!! lets get ponazuril more widely known!!
and got some NutriBAC on the way also...

Last edited:
Ponazuril Works.

Recently I had a 14 month old male f. pardalis who had a particularly tough case of coccidia. After 4 rounds of ponazuril for 3 days at 30mg/ml at .1ml per 100g we finally got rid of coccidia. (knock on wood) His fecal was completely clean today and it was an extremely fresh fecal which i did the float on within a couple minutes of getting the sample. I want to mention that I used reptaid at the very end of the treatment. After the last couple rounds it seemed to work well to help boost appetite, and possibly helped keep the coccidia at bay.

Just wanted to share my experience with ponazuril. I will be using it again if I ever have to deal with coccidia again.

See Ya,

Todd

my vet just perscribed 20mg/kl, once every 24 hours for 12-28 days untill no coccidia are found.

this was the dose for my dehydrated reptile that was going down hill . i assume this is a lower dose because my reptile was so sick. reptile passed away with liver failure (unknown cause) coccidia was not an over count and did not contribute to her death.

the reptile was sick and the use of ponasuril was precautionary.

i just wished to provide a lower dose that was perscribed by a vet i trust.

to clearify, what is the mg/kl now being used with ponasuril. is it 30, 50, or 60? i see alot of numbers on here but i just want to verify the answer.

Where can i get ponazuril? The vet gave me Albon...

Same thing happened to me. Your vet can order you the ponazuril. Larry (my veiled), has been on the ponazuril for almost a week now and he has been behaving normally, eating/drinking and roaming his cage like he always does. Yesterday I spent all day cleaning his cage, including disinfecting everything with 40 volume hydrogen peroxide. Hopefully next week when he gets his checkup/fecal he will be coccidia free or at least nearly there.

I was just prescribed 40mg/ml ponazuril and it has instructions to give 0.1 once a day for 28 days. I saw the comments about 3 days on 1 week off... Just want to see what is effective

I just started two chams on this drug. I was prescribed 75mg/ml, both chams are 75-80g and was told to give 0.01ml for 7 days. This seems like a low dose, and is it safer on the cham to do 3 days on and 7 days off?

Only problem is I'm not sure the hydrogen peroxide evaporates like alcohol so cleaning a breeders cage would require a ton of water to get that peroxide out to be safe.

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2 - very similar to H2O. It evaporates much the same, and when it doesn't it breaks down to water first. There aren't any chemicals in it.

Back
Top Bottom