Coccidia... Help and cleaning advice. Please..

Hi everyone! I just heard from my Vet. Beman's test was NEGATIVE for Coccidia. I am so beyond relieved. But it would appear that when I killed off my 250 dubia that I potentially contaminated with coccidia by tossing them back in to the bin and then got dubia from the pet store to hold me over 5 days for my new order to arrive. Apparently pinworms came with them. Not happy about this. So low numbers of pinworms on the results. My Vet want's to wait to treat them until the next fecal in 4 weeks unless there is a decline in health or funky stool. Since she is more concerned about the Coccidia and not wanting to stress him while we are making sure that he is clear of it. Right now he is eating like a pig and is the usual active happy boy.

I would like to keep this thread about the coccidia only so as not to confuse future members needing the information. So if you do have any pinworms advice private message me please. I will be doing more searching now on this so if you have great threads on it send them my way.

Thank you to everyone! 4 more weeks and the Vet said that if that fecal comes back negative too that she feels I can stop worrying and move on from this. :)

Oh this parasite is forever out to get me!!!!! I am a dog breeder and I have had issues with coccidia on and off for 9 10 years now.
Just so everyone who isn’t familiar with the parasite here’s a link talking about it. Coccidia is something to be taken seriously

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102919&id=7996794
I despise this parasite, these nasty single celled evils are terrible and affect everything... My dogs, chickens and now reading this I have to be careful with Dexter and Kiwi! Thanks for the info... I would never have thought that coccidia is a threat, time to deworm the dogs, chickens and sanitize on the constant!

Update: The Vet wants to wait and run another fecal next month to check for the coccidia. Since I am treating Beman for the pinworms now and he is not showing any decreased eating or any additional symptoms. The fecals add up at $65 each. So I will wait 4 weeks to check. Then do a final check approximately 4 weeks later to be sure that the coccidia did not pass to Beman and that the pins are gone. So far so good. Just keeping my fingers crossed and saying a lot of prayers.

That's great news that Beman is still negative for coccidia. But it does sound like you are paying a ton for fecals. Does the pet insurance pay some of that?

Or is the insurance just for emergency medical treatments?

That's great news that Beman is still negative for coccidia. But it does sound like you are paying a ton for fecals. Does the pet insurance pay some of that?

Or is the insurance just for emergency medical treatments?
I was told it would not cover fecals. But I did not have pet insurance on Beman prior to getting Bahari and him being exposed. They will not cover any prior possible medical issues. I have to wait to get him through this then get the insurance according to the company. I called after Bahari passed to find out options with Nationwide. :(
It would have covered vet care for the office visits though along with other things. My office visits run $110.

I would look into it for your boy when you get him. It is pretty inexpensive to have on them. At least then some of the expense is covered when your dealing with medical care for whatever it is. :)

Update: The Vet wants to wait and run another fecal next month to check for the coccidia. Since I am treating Beman for the pinworms now and he is not showing any decreased eating or any additional symptoms. The fecals add up at $65 each. So I will wait 4 weeks to check. Then do a final check approximately 4 weeks later to be sure that the coccidia did not pass to Beman and that the pins are gone. So far so good. Just keeping my fingers crossed and saying a lot of prayers.

Thanks for the update. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Glad to hear Beman is negative for coccidia.

Final Update:

We have finally hit the three month mark of testing and monitoring Beman my Veiled cham after the loss of Bahari. I took the final fecal in on Monday and found out today that Beman is still Coccidia free. I am at a point now where I can breathe easier knowing he did not catch this and that I will not have to go through another tragedy. He has grown and matured quite beautifully now at 15-16 months old. He is so strong and every day he stuns me with his grace and the joy he brings me. He is of course still spoiled and loved dearly.

Thank you to everyone who checked in on us and sent us their love. It really meant the world to me to have the emotional support through this period of time.

I would like to encourage everyone to be thankful for these amazing animals while being aware of what can happen.

Final Update:

We have finally hit the three month mark of testing and monitoring Beman my Veiled cham after the loss of Bahari. I took the final fecal in on Monday and found out today that Beman is still Coccidia free. I am at a point now where I can breathe easier knowing he did not catch this and that I will not have to go through another tragedy. He has grown and matured quite beautifully now at 15-16 months old. He is so strong and every day he stuns me with his grace and the joy he brings me. He is of course still spoiled and loved dearly.

Thank you to everyone who checked in on us and sent us their love. It really meant the world to me to have the emotional support through this period of time.

I would like to encourage everyone to be thankful for these amazing animals while being aware of what can happen.
Congratulations baby, good job!

Final Update:

Glad he’s doing good!

Final Update:

You really are a rockstar Becca! I'm so beyond impressed by you!

That's such a relief with Beman, but I'm still sad about Bahari.
Me too Tony... I am a very emotional person and hold on to things. Losing Bahari has really rocked my world and broke my passion and love for this hobby. I struggle daily with it. Part of me wants to pull away from the forum and the hobby because it hurts too much to think about the fact that I could not save him. Then there is the other part of me that tries to push the hurt aside while being mindful of the fact that I can give back to this community. Everyday I try to find my joy and passion again. I am still not able to move forward with getting another Panther. Not yet anyways. I have been offered quite a few now from different breeders. I am still stuck, scared, and sad. But being as how I am such an emotional person if I stay in the emotion of it then I will not be able to function.

So I remember him as a beautiful Nosy Be Panther. Colors that I never could have imagined. I adored him. His name Bahari meant Ocean in Swahili. I wanted him to have a special name and found the most individual one I could for him. I still cry even though I put on a brave face with everyone here.

Back
Top Bottom