anybody experiencing cricket shortage?

I just got back from my weekly crix run. I got mediums, but they seem larger than usual. No shortage of LG around here, but they were too large for my juvie—he wouldn't eat them. Had to toss them out in the snow.

These look somewhere between med & lg., which may not be a bad thing. Little tyke's growing so fast, he may have grown into these.

I wasn't sure I'd be able to get them, so this morning he had to settle for worms—50/50 super & meal.
Little barstad ate 10 of 'em! :eek: I figured he'd eat half & save half for this afternoon, like he often does with other feeders. Then again, he started his 3rd shed an hour later. He still sheds fast.

I can't find crickets anywhere!! I have a baby cham so he eats a TON. What do you guys use in a pinch?

I can't find crickets anywhere!! I have a baby cham so he eats a TON. What do you guys use in a pinch?
Whatever can be gotten in a pinch. Meal worms, superworms, dubias, silk worms, or others on the list.

Some are not good staples, but between less than ideal and nothing, I'll feed less than ideal for a day or two.

Whatever can be gotten in a pinch. Meal worms, superworms, dubias, silk worms, or others on the list.

Some are not good staples, but between less than ideal and nothing, I'll feed less than ideal for a day or two.
Unfortunately I live in Florida so dubias are a no here, but I'll see what else I can get my hands on that are a good size for him. He's still so small I'm scared he would choke on a worm o_O

Unfortunately I live in Florida so dubias are a no here, but I'll see what else I can get my hands on that are a good size for him. He's still so small I'm scared he would choke on a worm o_O
If you’re on the Space Coast, I have an overabundance of discoid roaches I can give you. I’ll happily give you some adults to so you can start your own colony. Mine is growing faster than my critters can eat them.

IME, the feeders they sell in pet shops are so small they shouldn't be a problem. Explain to a clerk why you'd like to see the size, and they shouldn't object to your taking a peek.

Mine won't eat anything—or try—if it's too big for him to handle (why I tossed the lg. crix). As it was explained to me, the "distance between the eyes" rule applies to the girth of the feeder—not the length. They can & do bite them in half if necessary.

Oh, you're the one! :p Why didn't you tell me before I tossed them? :unsure:

There were at least nine more pages in the search, averaging (first few pages) 3-4 posts per page recommending freezing unwanted feeders.

They probably got some of them. I didn't count, but it looked like some went missing. I just hope they didn't make it into the garage and start breeding (and chirping) in the spring/summer.
I hate cricket chirping inside the structure. Can never find the little buggers.

I looked for the clip of Buddy Holly (Gary Busey) tearing his garage apart looking for a cricket, but no luck. Turns out that incident/rumor was false.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/buddy-holly-crickets-name/

Back
Top Bottom