Feeding my chameleon dead crickets?

Pixie22

Ok, this is a little bit of an interesting situation. So my veiled chameleon eats by hand, and she knows that if it’s in my hand, it’s food, even if it’s not moving. I used to put bugs in the cage for her to catch herself but they keep escaping out of the cage... eew. I’m wondering if it’s ok if I take my gut loaded crickets, drown them, and immediately feed them to my Cham. They will only have been dead for a minute or two and are otherwise perfectly healthy. My chameleon is extremely active and gets plenty of exercise so I have no worries about her becoming inactive due to not hunting. Another thing is I was wondering if she can have the Flukers brand canned silk worms every once and a while. I know that’s a different situation cause those have been dead for a while, but I know my chameleon would love to have some as a treat ever once in a while and we’re unable to get rarer live insects like those around here.

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
You don’t want to drown them. You can put them in the fridge or freezer. I assume you just don’t want to hold the crickets. You can also use a deep cup and hold it. This is what I do. Just like a big gulp 32oz cup. They can’t jump out, but the chameleon can get them easily.

JacksJill

Staff member
I currently have 21 cages in my house, without the Shooting Gallery feeder, I would be chasing crickets out of my bed and cabinets. I only have loose crickets if I'm uncoordinated enough to drop one now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom