Any tips on maintaining humidity in reptarium?

fubekka

Hey guys just wondering if you had any tricks to keep humidity up in reptariums. With all the air flowing through, it seems like it could be a problem. I also live in Utah so the air is fairly dry here. Thanks!

plastic shower curtains, cardboard, plexiglass or a humidifier..

Im in Chicago and it gets fairly dry out here round winter too. I personally use shower curtains cut to size. the also help keep any splashing water off your walls..

Humidifier, live plants, a fish tank, longer mistings, etc. The Reptariums are mesh as well, so they hold water for a while before drying out (unlike metal cages.) if you wrap some plastic on 1-3 sides of the cage it will help with the humidity.

I have a reptibreeze And I taped clear Plastic wrap to 3 sides..and it seems to work well. I live in Maine..dry and cold in the winter.

They sell plastic inserts for just that reason.

If you are at all handy, you can make a "stand" for your cage that is open on the bottom. That will allow water to drip through the mesh. So...you have a tub or drawer to contain it.

Have a good drip system and mist frequently, let that water drain to the tub under the mesh and it will help with the humidity (because the cage is over open water).

You can hang stuff from the plastic frames very easily. I took a small terracotta pot, filled it with hydrated water crystals, covered it with mesh and hung it in the cage. I take it out to rehydrate it as needed....that has made a significant difference in humidity.

As noted, live plants are great. You can easily hang them from the frame.

It's very dry here even with auto misting 3 times a day, live plant and hand misting. So I'm running the humidifier and see how that goes.

I used glass cages with screen lids for years and then switched to glass ones with screen doors and lids. Even with three sides closed in I couldn't keep the cages from drying out rapidly after the mistings...so I went back to glass cages with screen lids. They are no problem to me as long as you don't let water lay stagnant on the floor of the cage.

I hear of so many people saying just put plastic or plexiglass over the sides of the screen cage....I don't think this makes it much different than using glass cages in the first place.

I used glass cages with screen lids for years and then switched to glass ones with screen doors and lids. Even with three sides closed in I couldn't keep the cages from drying out rapidly after the mistings...so I went back to glass cages with screen lids. They are no problem to me as long as you don't let water lay stagnant on the floor of the cage.

I hear of so many people saying just put plastic or plexiglass over the sides of the screen cage....I don't think this makes it much different than using glass cages in the first place.

One big difference is that you can adjust panels on screen cages for seasonal or daily temp and humidity changes. And, you can enclose a really large screen cage instead of trying to find a huge glass terrarium.

Gosh I am so lucky to be living in Florida! the humidity outside is like 85% right now!!! Something we never have to worry about here, even in our "winters"

It makes sense to cover the sides with plastic to keep humidity up, but isn't one of the reasons for a mesh enclosure to have good cross-ventilation? Wouldn't covering the sides prevent that?

I've recently started using a dripper for my retarded chameleon who seems to have no idea how to drink - I also took out the substrate that the previous (equally as retarded) owner had in the viv, and replaced it with newspaper to soak up any water - I've found that with the dripper going and the newspaper at the bottom, and the heat lamp, the humidity is maintained perfectly - more luck than judgement on my part mind you!

Lindsey said...."It makes sense to cover the sides with plastic to keep humidity up, but isn't one of the reasons for a mesh enclosure to have good cross-ventilation? Wouldn't covering the sides prevent that?"...exactly.

If your ambient realtive humidity is low, best choice is to NOT use a screen cage. A better choice would be a solid sided cage.

I don't recommend covering more than 1-3 sides (leaving 1-3 sides uncovered and the top uncovered.) That way you still have air flow, but it helps with humidity. I like my humidifier. My panther sits over it and drinks the water that builds up on the plants.

Yesterday I got home from work and the Cham room was showing 31%. The bathroom has two doors. One opens to the Cham room so I turned on the shower to hot turned a fan on and ran the free range misters for about ten minutes and it was back up to about 65 70 % in the room.

Back
Top Bottom