Any ideas for feeding large colonies nutritious non/slow perishing foods

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
So with 30+ colonies, feeding is quite the task. I'm talking sustaining/growing healthy colonies, not gutloading. I've been using those big bags of carrots from costco(I go through about one a week) because they are cheap, last a long time in the fridge, and are nutritious. I also use all kinds of veggie/fruit scraps and dry things like oats.

I'm brainstorming ideas for adding more variety of fruits/veggies on regular basis like I do with the carrots without it being something that is expensive and goes bad fast.

Also want to make a big bucket of dry feed, something like oats/bee pollen/spirulina(if I can make it affordable). Open to thoughts on things to add to this/instead of these ingredients as well.

The whole plan is to have a more complete, but affordable and long lasting feeding regime for my colonies. I think I do a pretty good job now, but would like to improve on it. I'm not able to get out to the grocery store very often so that's an important factor. I usually like to offer a variety of colors in my foods!

So with 30+ colonies, feeding is quite the task. I'm talking sustaining/growing healthy colonies, not gutloading. I've been using those big bags of carrots from costco(I go through about one a week) because they are cheap, last a long time in the fridge, and are nutritious. I also use all kinds of veggie/fruit scraps and dry things like oats.

I'm brainstorming ideas for adding more variety of fruits/veggies on regular basis like I do with the carrots without it being something that is expensive and goes bad fast.

Also want to make a big bucket of dry feed, something like oats/bee pollen/spirulina(if I can make it affordable). Open to thoughts on things to add to this/instead of these ingredients as well.

The whole plan is to have a more complete, but affordable and long lasting feeding regime for my colonies. I think I do a pretty good job now, but would like to improve on it. I'm not able to get out to the grocery store very often so that's an important factor. I usually like to offer a variety of colors in my foods!
I don't have anything to add that you don't already know about but interested in the replies you may get as I have colonies of dubias coming out my; well you know. Also looking for more economical feeding.

I just get the just about to expire stuff and peel it and put it in the freezer. Bananas and mushy fruit for days. You can also get "juicer" bags of carrots and other items for dirt cheap.
I run "goat meal"( alfalfa/timothy ) through a food processor and turn it into dust. That is my cheap dry.

I make ice cubes out of blending fruits and veggies (and pollen/spirulina). Then empty the icecubes in a ziploc bag and Im good for a long time (only 3-4 colonies though). The ice cubes stay pretty solid and dont mold if eaten in a few days. I throw one or two ice cubes in once or twice a week, plus the carrots.

I know fall and winter squashes like pumpkin, spaghetti squash, acorn and butterbut squash - will keep for a really long time on your counter. Those that Ive fed whole seem to not rot or mold too quickly - they might be a good addition to your mix or rotation?

Since you are bio - you can also grow some food in the more humid setups, if it gets some light. The rye and wheat seeds I sent germinate super fast and in relatively low light. My grasshoppers have been mowing it down. The downside is gives the roaches a boost up closer to the lid :p

Sorry in a rush everyone, I'll get to you all in a little bit haha. I really appreciate all of the input!!

I just get the just about to expire stuff and peel it and put it in the freezer. Bananas and mushy fruit for days. You can also get "juicer" bags of carrots and other items for dirt cheap.
I run "goat meal"( alfalfa/timothy ) through a food processor and turn it into dust. That is my cheap dry.

For the alfalfa hay, do you notice the roaches enjoy eating it? I believe alfalfa is a little higher in protein which is nice if the roaches actually want to eat.

Sorry in a rush everyone, I'll get to you all in a little bit haha. I really appreciate all of the input!!

For the alfalfa hay, do you notice the roaches enjoy eating it? I believe alfalfa is a little higher in protein which is nice if the roaches actually want to eat.
IMAG0039.jpg

Disregard the water crystals, they were temp till the veg came in. Now keep in mind 1/4 of it was kelp, bee pollen, brewers yeast. But the majority of it was this stuff.

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/feeding-alfalfa-pellets/

I make ice cubes out of blending fruits and veggies (and pollen/spirulina). Then empty the icecubes in a ziploc bag and Im good for a long time (only 3-4 colonies though). The ice cubes stay pretty solid and dont mold if eaten in a few days. I throw one or two ice cubes in once or twice a week, plus the carrots.

I know fall and winter squashes like pumpkin, spaghetti squash, acorn and butterbut squash - will keep for a really long time on your counter. Those that Ive fed whole seem to not rot or mold too quickly - they might be a good addition to your mix or rotation?

Since you are bio - you can also grow some food in the more humid setups, if it gets some light. The rye and wheat seeds I sent germinate super fast and in relatively low light. My grasshoppers have been mowing it down. The downside is gives the roaches a boost up closer to the lid :p
I use the same technique with the ice cubes and they (dubia) go thru 4 cubes plus some fresh apple a night. Can I cut feeding to every other night without any harm?

How about Guinea Pig/rabbit food pellets. Dont know how long they would last in a humid environment but probably longer than fruits or veggies would.

They problem with those is normally they have vitamins mixed in, and they have super high doses of certain ones to prevent scurvy in the little guys. The golden unit would be pure alfalfa/timothy in guinea pig pellet form. Ive only found it once, for baby goats.

What about straight up dried alfalfa then?

Tried alfalfa hay, it just turned into straw... And i had to clean it out every few days. Also the horse barn starts giving you odd looks when you start asking for small amounts of feed, and then asking whats it for, then they stop asking questions. "what are you going to do with 1 pound of goat feed?"

Almonds might be a good idea - they are hardy and don't get gross very easily.

Head lettuce will continue to grow in soil... maybe you can “plant” a head each week with your carrots? That will allow them to continue to eat it without it getting wilted. Im sure theyll eat it faster than it grows. Probably not the most cost effective method, though, considering the snails ate half a head of lettuce in a day!

Does bok choy fall under the broccoli / brussel sprouts family that is not recommended for gutloading? Well, to recommended in high quantities I should say.

Back
Top Bottom